Author Topic: Bernard Fitzsimmons, from "shop man" to Aussie convict.  (Read 1803 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard Fitzsimmons, from "shop man" to Aussie convict.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 September 19 02:37 BST (UK) »
38-2622 CONVICT INDENT.  (original would be held in the Archives at NSW State Archives, Kingswood, and likely available via Ancestry's current partnership with them).

Bernard FITZSIMMONS per the Elphinstone (arrived NSW 29 Dec 1838)  received a sentence of 14 years.  He was 35, could Read and Write, a Roman Catholic, Single, no children, from County Cavan, a Grocer, tried at Kings County on 19 July 1838, for Forged notes in possession, no previous convictions, and noted on the CONVICT INDENT :  ….. son on board, free, Thomas FITZSIMMONS, aged thirteen years.   

May I mention that the convict indent clearly has Bernard as ‘Single, no children’ … and to me that indicates only that he was NOT married.  We need to remember that in that era that to be a parent you needed to have been MARRIED …   On the other hand, reality taught the officials recording the indents that of course a person can have a son or daughter OUTSIDE of marriage, and under the heading ‘Particular Marks or Scars (and) Remarks’  officialdom noted that Bernard’s son was on board the Elphinstone, named the lad, noted he came free and gave his age too.  They noted Thomas AFTER giving a full physical description of Bernard, tattoos, scars, moles, etc.    Bernard’s Certificate of Freedom is referenced on the Convict Indent record as 52/84.

May I mention that the website for convictrecords.com.au etc accepts SUBMITTED comments and there are some comments for Bernard that indicate there are a number of people actively researching him.  It is not good practice to rely on submitted information, but it can be interesting to contact the submitters to share official records.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 September 19 02:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you, JM. I believe Bernard Fitzsimmons is my 3rd GG. AS for this "son" Thomas. It could also be that Thomas is a relative. Were convicts allowed to bring children? I am just having trouble locating any Irish records for him in County Cavan (who of course assumes he was born there). 
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 September 19 03:05 BST (UK) »
Omitted the crucial piece of evidence. On George Henry Stephenson's death certificate, his mother is listed as Sarah Fitzsimmons. I suspect his sister Gladys knew the "truth".
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 September 19 03:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, there are instances of convicts who did bring their children, although it was usually the female convict bringing their child.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 September 19 03:32 BST (UK) »
I realise you are searching for Bernard’s origins back in Ireland, but on the offchance that your NSW records are incomplete, may I share:

1875 Grevilles P.O. Directory DUNGOG
Bernard FITZSIMMONS, labourer, Lord St 
Mrs FITZSIMMONS, Wire Gully.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 September 19 03:48 BST (UK) »
Was he in VIC in his old age?

If so this confirms a birth of 1796, 2nd last column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199361392

Jamjar

And here is a Bernard FITZSIMMONS, an old man, needing the Benevolent Society to help him. He had a son Thomas who was deceased, and that particular Bernard had been in Victoria for 19 years or so at that time - if I am reading it 'right'  that Bernard's father was also named Thomas ... https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/233334266 June 1879

JM

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 September 19 04:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, Wiry Gully. That's the place. I believe it was an estate at Dungog. But not married.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 September 19 05:20 BST (UK) »
Wiragulla would be the 1950s spelling ... it is still a locality today.  Much of the land was granted initially in the late 1820s to a John VERGE, an immigrant and a leading architect responsible for various significant buildings in the various settled districts including of course Sydney.
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/verge-john-2757   

JM

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 September 19 11:31 BST (UK) »

Can you list the details on the marriage certificate of George Henry STEPHENSON.

Do you have a birth certificate for one of the children of George Henry STEPHENSON.

A birth certificate with father George as informant would be  useful.