Author Topic: The Kings of Winterton on Sea  (Read 3487 times)

Offline dr_chris_graham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Kings of Winterton on Sea
« on: Sunday 29 September 19 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, after receiving the Parish records of the Kings of Winterton, I have now mapped them out, took 100 pages in a spreadsheet.  I now have direct descendents reaching back to approx 1690.  There was movement to Caister on Sea, Hemsby and even Western Australia.  If someone is also researching the same family I would be interested in corresponding with them. 

My next job is to go through census records.  I had heard that a person Richard/Ivan King had undertaken some research and there is a website up and running, however, it has not been updated since the early 2000's, the internet address is from a defunct company, but if you know if he's living I would be interested in contacting him.  Thanks Chris

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Kings of Winterton on Sea
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 September 19 04:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.
Have you looked at the Surname interests for King, specifically to see if anyone has Norfolk as area of interest?
It would be useful to mention some actual names, dates and places in your posts for chatters to relate to.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 September 19 09:41 BST (UK) »
As Jackie suggested, it might be worth looking in the surname interests table (under Your Tools at the bottom of the page). I had a very quick look and as you would expect there are a lot of “King” researchers. I noted only a couple searching in Norfolk. Most are from other areas of the country.  ;) A surname mapping tool does feature in in the Norfolk area, though I am unsure of it's accuracy.

Have you taken (or considered taking) a DNA test which may connect you to other King researchers, if that is what you are looking to do?

Good luck. If you need help just ask.  ;)

Offline dr_chris_graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 September 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting comments, thanks for reminding me about the surname interest, unfortunately only one match for King in Norwich, Norfolk is relevant and I’ve looked at this before.  In Norwich there is only one family record of a ‘Katie Irene King, born Abt. 1911 in Winterton, Norfolk; died 21 Feb 1933 in Norwich.’

As per names I do indeed have several persons in Winterton on Sea I would like to know more details. Unfortunately, I don’t know where I should start looking as the records must be scant;

John King.  He married Margaret and had a child Benjamin King, born Abt. 1717 in Winterton, Norfolk; died Abt. 1777.  Benjamin’s Christening: 15 Jul 1717, Old Meeting House - Goal St, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.

This Benjamin King, married Elizabeth Abel 21 Oct 1740 in Hethersett, Norfolk, daughter of Thomas ABEL and Elizabeth.  She was born Abt. 1720 in Hethersett, Norfolk.   Had two recorded children (I’d suspect there must be more.  Abel King, born Abt. 1741 in Winterton, Norfolk; died 11 Dec 1783 in Norfolk. He married Jane Hodds 14 Dec 1767 in Holy Trinity & All Saints, Winterton, Norfolk.  She was born Abt. 1746 in Winterton, Norfolk.
Second child Jimmy King, born 1745. He married Anne. 

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 September 19 21:53 BST (UK) »
I have had a quick look at findmypast and their records for Benjamin King b1717 and found his baptism there.
There is also a burial for a Benjamin King for 18/12/1723 (Great Yarmouth) with parents as Jno and Marga listed but otherwise their records were a bit scant for that time.
I will have a look later at some other names.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 00:00 BST (UK) »
Chris,

You have managed to get back a long way.

Yesterday I looked on freereg which has reasonable coverage for Norfolk, and see that they have transcripts for Winterton. I do not know the extent of the coverage or if it differs from the Winterton Parish registers you have access to. I did notice “Abel” due to his unusual name.  ;) Another observation is that there were not many burial records. That may mean they have not been transcribed yet, or that they did not survive. It can useful to try to match up the births with the deaths to ensure you are not marrying off someone years later when they died as an infant.  :)

Have you looked for wills for any of your family members?

Presumably you have looked for births for those you have noted as being “born about”? There should be a list (somewhere) of the earliest records and what records have survived for the parish.

Added:
Some information under Parish Records:
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NFK/Winterton

And:
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Winterton,_Norfolk_Genealogy

There are good links on the above sites, some of which you are probably already aware of.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 00:24 BST (UK) »
I had heard that a person Richard/Ivan King had undertaken some research and there is a website up and running, however, it has not been updated since the early 2000's, the internet address is from a defunct company, but if you know if he's living I would be interested in contacting him.  Thanks Chris
I can't tell if you are saying the website is still on line or not. If it is, have you tried the whois database? Start here:
https://www.whois.net/
or
https://www.godaddy.com/offers/whois?isc=gofd1001aj&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI44mliNf55AIVDGKGCh1M0wmpEAAYASAAEgJeOvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That will give you a contact email. Even if it is privacy protected, they should forward it to the website owner.

If it isn't online, have you tried the Internet Archive for old versions of the site?
https://archive.org/
The whole site might not be there, but you might find an "About" page with some contact information, or his location, etc. Anything that you can use to find him using Google or the UK address/phone book online (I forget the name of the site, in the US it is whitepages.com).

Or just Google what you know about him. You might turn up something--a new site of his, or another location with the information you are looking for.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 00:33 BST (UK) »
:) Or did you do all that and his email address is what is from a defunct company?

Try Googling his name and the email address anyway. He might have used it somewhere else that will help you find him. If you turn up a username on a forum, Google the username, he might have re-used that, etc.

Offline dr_chris_graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 02:11 BST (UK) »
Well the website I found was
https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/k/i/n/Ivan-R-King/index.html

https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/k/i/n/Ivan-R-King/GENE6-0001.html
Not updated since 2004 but Ivan R King did a fantastic job I'd buy him a pint if I could!