Author Topic: The Kings of Winterton on Sea  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Kings of Winterton on Sea
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 06:00 BST (UK) »
Phone directories.
Social media.
Deaths/Obituaries.
Ancestry have fairly recent births deaths and marriages. Look for his birth or marriage, see if he has siblings or children who may have an online presence and contact them.
Check to see if he is a member of “Genes Reunited” (if it is still running).
If there is a Winterton historical society or similar - they may know of him.

I’m afraid I don’t have social media or subscriptions to any pay sites at the moment otherwise I would do some digging for you.  :)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 09:55 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Tribal pages which lists Abel King b1740 in Winterton - The Smith Family Tree - you may be able to contact the owner/ask to view.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 October 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
@ dr_chris_graham

I PM'd you some information a few days ago, did you receive it?

Offline dr_chris_graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 October 19 02:49 BST (UK) »
Yep I received the info, was going to collate it tomorrow.  Been a bit of a busy week this week.  Info on the Kings is most appreciated. 

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 October 19 02:18 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at this site, www.fleggisland.co.uk  it gives bmd info for Kings in Winterton and surrounding villages. There may be some help for you on there, Dave.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 12:55 BST (UK) »
Yep I received the info, was going to collate it tomorrow.  Been a bit of a busy week this week.  Info on the Kings is most appreciated.

Has your research lead to looking at any graves for Kings in Winterton churchyard, or any Kings in the chuch rolls of honours? I live near the village so would be happy to help if you needed any King headstones/rolls of honour etc.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline dr_chris_graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 23:39 BST (UK) »
Actually someone sent me a copy of the locations of the gravestones in Winterton for the Kings already.  Interesting, item of note Dick King who replied back to me started off the geneological research twenty years ago and undertook it for ten years, now in correspondence it has been engaging to swap information.  One item of interest is that a John Hopknee's King wrote a diary from the turn of the C20th century to about 1940 which should have some interesting snippets about country village life.   Cheers Chris

Offline dr_chris_graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 November 19 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Norfolk Family History magazine about 1999 (with permission by author Richard King)
THE KINGS OF THE FLEGGS 176O to 1939 This study of the KINGS of the Flegg villages of East Norfolk is based on an examination of places of birth, occupations of the fathers and marriages (where they indicate the occupations of the grooms and fathers concerned). Three particular features are revealed by this. The first is the high concentration in one particular village - Winterton. Of the births in all the 18 Flegg villages over two-thirds were in this coastal- village. In the first half of this period (to about 1840) there were a few in the inland villages of Burgh St.Margaret, Ormesby and Rollesby but virtually none in the other vi1Iages. The second half of the period shows a sma11 but steady rise of KING births in Caister and Hemsby. The second feature is the migratory trends in this area which is closely related to the occupation of particular KING families. Those in Winterton were essentially fishing families and all remained there until about 1840. After this there was migration along the coast to Caister, Newport(Hermsby), Sea Palling and Yarmouth. This was probably not due to fishing itself but to the establishment of Beach Companies by Winterton men at these locations. (See 'The Beachmen' by David Higgins). Rarely did a Winterton' King move to an inland village. The KINGS in the inland villages were largely farm labourers (and later farmers) and although there was a tendency to move to other villages they seldom changed occupation even if they moved to a coastal vi11age. (See map). The third feature is the rise and fall in the total number of KINGS in the Fleggs compared with the total population of these villages. The graph shows that although there was a steady rise i-n the population of the Flegg Hundreds the KING births rose rapidly at the end of the 1-9th Century, peaked in the first two decades of the 20th Century and then declined abruptly. It would be interesting to know if other surnames showed these tendencies and if there are similar concentrations of KINGS in other parts of Norfolk.

If anyone is interested I can provide the graphs

Offline King-Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 August 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi There, I'm really interested to learn of your research into the Kings of Winterton. Following the recent death of my Aunty, we discovered a copy of family tree which shows that I am a descendant of Abel and Ann King. The writing is hard to decipher but the tree references, what looks like, 'Jimmy (1811) and Harriet (1814)' However, sadly it doesn't go and further back.  I would be fascinated to learn more about Kings but unfortunately don't really have the time to delve into the archives and research the intricacies for myself. Chris, is it possible for you to share any of your findings beyond the information that you have already highlighted in your previous posts? It's fascinating and my family and I would love to know more! Kindest regards, Catherine