Author Topic: Looking for baptism / parents of William Street  (Read 934 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for baptism / parents of William Street
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 September 19 13:27 BST (UK) »
Might be a coincidence but there's a William Street marrying a Mary Groome in Goring on 8 Feb 1775. And Goring was the place William (1779) came back to in Sussex.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
Just found image of that marriage record and William's signature is quite similar to his signature a few years earlier when he and his brother John were witnesses to his mother's second marriage. he had to squeeze it in the space as Mary signed first with such a large signature it overflowed on the line below.
They had a son William Noah Street baptised in 1776. I am wondering if that was the William who married Little Dixon.
In 1841 his birth year calculates as 1776, if it was 1779 it should be rounded to 1781. Little's age is rounded to 1781. In 1851 his age is given as 72, same as Little's, co calculated birth year is 1776. But looking in the disability column he is blind, so wouldn't be able to fill in householder's form himself, so Little or whoever filled it in just guessed at his age. His age at death would give birth year of 1778, but as he died in Q1 of 1860, he may not have had his birthday in that year yet. William Noah Street baptised in May 1776. Little died in 1859, so could not have been the informant.

The record of marriage for William Street and Mary Groome says she was from Arundel. Warningcamp is quite near Arundel as well.

The Lyminster William could be an adult baptism, I have often seen those recorded without parents, and that William is just a co-incidence and not related.

I think brother John may have died a bit later than I said, I've found another burial in 1828 which is a good fit on age and place.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 April 23 12:41 BST (UK) »
After several years I've come back to this puzzle, after finding a will for yet another William Street!

The "new" William Street was a farmer from Dunsfold Surrey. He made his will on 1 Dec 1768 and it was proved on 6 Feb 1770. He mentions his wife Catherine and grandchildren, William Street, John Street and Elizabeth Child. William gets the largest portion and Elizabeth the least as William senior says he has already provided for her. In the will it is mentioned that John is under 21 at the time of writing and I think William is as well, although he is granted probate. Property in Rudgwick is mentioned.
The grandchildren match with three siblings on my tree.
Elizabeth Street bapt 4 March 1748 Chiddingfold married Thomas Child 17 Dec 1767 Dunsfold
William Street bapt 29 May 1750 Chiddingfold  possibly the William in reply #9
John Street bapt 06 Dec 1751 Chiddingfold married Mary Child 08 Sep 1774 Dunsfold

They were the children of William Street and Elizabeth Jen(n)ings who married by licence on 20 Mar 1747 in Guildford. William was 24 and Elizabeth 21 when they married. This William was buried on 21 Jan 1752. Elizabeth remarried to George Osborne on 24 Oct 1771 in Dunsfold (referred to in reply #10).
So William (the grandfather) would have taken on responsibility for his deceased son's children and may have made a generous settlement when Elizabeth married Thomas Child. No other children or grandchildren are mentioned in the will, so Willim jnr may have been his only child or the only one to reach adulthood.
If I could prove William 1750 was the father of the William who married Little Dixon, my DNA match would fall into place nicely.