Author Topic: Inveraray and Glenaray marriage 1752  (Read 787 times)

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Inveraray and Glenaray marriage 1752
« on: Monday 30 September 19 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi.
6x great grandparents married in Inveraray and Glenaray in 1752 but I can't seem to find exactly where  :-\ The lovely churches in Inveraray weren't built until later and I can't find any reference to any earlier ones. Am I just being blind in my searches?
Thanks
Rundle, Beard, Crewes- Cornwall
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Gardiner(+variants), Gibson, Watson, Patterson, Nicholson- Durham
Nicholson, Burns, Mcintyre- Northumberland
Mcintyre- Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Inveraray and Glenaray marriage 1752
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 08:22 BST (UK) »
6x great grandparents married in Inveraray and Glenaray in 1752 but I can't seem to find exactly where  :-\ The lovely churches in Inveraray weren't built until later and I can't find any reference to any earlier ones. Am I just being blind in my searches?
They were almost certainly not married in a church building. Until the late 19th century wedding ceremonies were traditionally held in the bride's home or, if she had no parents of was working far from home, in the manse (minister's house) or her employer's house.

As for kirks in Inverararay, bear in mind that the present town was built after 1770, when the Duke of Argyll set out to create a planned town to replace the old burgh. He also built a kirk (1794) to accommodate the 'Highland' and 'Lowland' (or Gaelic and English) congregations of the parish. The Statistical Account implies that there were two kirks, one for each congregation, in the old burgh which had been demolished by 1793.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Inveraray and Glenaray marriage 1752
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that makes complete sense. This is the furthest I have gone back to on my Scottish side so not too sure on where marriages etc took place. We have just returned to Somerset from 3 weeks touring Scotland and we went to Inveraray, what a beautiful place.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply :) 
Rundle, Beard, Crewes- Cornwall
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Gardiner(+variants), Gibson, Watson, Patterson, Nicholson- Durham
Nicholson, Burns, Mcintyre- Northumberland
Mcintyre- Scotland