Author Topic: Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie - married 1820, no earlier information  (Read 3039 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie - married 1820, no earlier information
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 12 October 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
I'm gonna get back to this research now and see if there's something I missed on SP.
So do you think that the Alexander I found who died in St Vigeans and is said to be born in Perthshire is my ancestor?
I thought the one said to be born in Tibbermore in Perthshire died in Dundee not in St Vigeans?

The one who was in Dundee is not yours, because he was in the 1841 census there with his wife, whereas your one's wife/widow was in Arbroath at the same time. So they have to be two different couples whose given names are the same.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie - married 1820, no earlier information
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 October 19 19:09 BST (UK) »
I'm gonna get back to this research now and see if there's something I missed on SP.
So do you think that the Alexander I found who died in St Vigeans and is said to be born in Perthshire is my ancestor?
I thought the one said to be born in Tibbermore in Perthshire died in Dundee not in St Vigeans?

The one who was in Dundee is not yours, because he was in the 1841 census there with his wife, whereas your one's wife/widow was in Arbroath at the same time. So they have to be two different couples whose given names are the same.

Oh yeah, it was Dundee. So that just makes this harder, because what if the info I have in my family tree now is a mixture of my ancestors and of this other couple?
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 October 19 22:47 BST (UK) »
Oh yeah, it was Dundee. So that just makes this harder, because what if the info I have in my family tree now is a mixture of my ancestors and of this other couple?

Of course he died pre 1855 & Forfarian checked that family out i.e. you can just remove the date/place of death which should sort it (I think)?
Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 October 19 04:15 BST (UK) »

Of course he died pre 1855 & Forfarian checked that family out i.e. you can just remove the date/place of death which should sort it (I think)?
Annie

So what's my next move? I have the parents of Jane Ritchie, so now my focus is Alex Fotheringham.
I also happen to be going to Scotland in April, so if this happens to be the end for available online research, do you happen to know where I can go to find this information? I just think it's crazy that it's so difficult to find any information on an ancestor from the late 18th century to mid 19th century in Scotland.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 October 19 04:27 BST (UK) »
Is it possible for a wee timeline please with names/dates/places from furthest back you have with any middle names to save scrolling back & forward?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 October 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
I also happen to be going to Scotland in April, so if this happens to be the end for available online research, do you happen to know where I can go to find this information? I just think it's crazy that it's so difficult to find any information on an ancestor from the late 18th century to mid 19th century in Scotland.
Basically, if it's not on Scotland's People the information probably does not exist. The most common reason is that for whatever reason (parental negligence, careless clerk, forgetful minister) the baptism either was not recorded, or the record has not survived.

Yes, there is a very small number of registers that for one reason or another have not, or have not yet, made it to Scotland's People.

A handful of these, held in the National Records of Scotland, cannot be digitised, either because the congregation that owns it has not given permission, or because the owner cannot be found.

The rest of the 'missing' ones are mainly the registers of the Episcopal Church, which are all over the place, some in the churches, some in diocesan archives, and some in university or local archives. For instance the University of Dundee has, I believe, some Episcopalian baptism registers.

There might also be the odd register from another denomination, such as Congregational, Methodist, Baptist, Society of Friends lurking somewhere but the chances of finding any such are small. I am certainly unaware of any repository that holds any of these.

Do you not think that, if the records were available, one of the helpful people on RootsChat would have told you about them already?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 October 19 17:31 BST (UK) »

Unlikely, because most baptisms include the mother's maiden surname, so you should be easily able to eliminate those of the other couple.