Author Topic: Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie - married 1820, no earlier information  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie - married 1820, no earlier information
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 October 19 03:18 BST (UK) »
1841 Census transcription from FreeCEN -
West Mary Street , Arbroath , Angus
Jean Ritchie 45 born Angus
James Fotheringham 10 born Angus

Someone on Ancestry.com showed me that, as well. I wonder why nobody else is listed in that census.

It's always possible they're on the next page or have died?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Fotheringham and Jane Ritchie - married 1820, no earlier information
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 October 19 03:45 BST (UK) »
So back to the topic of Janet Milne- on one of those censuses for James, it shows him living with his aunt and uncle, and the aunt is supposedly the sister of his mother. Anyway, her name is Elisabeth. So Scotland's People has a Jean Ritchie born in Inverkeilor to William Ritchie and Janet "Miln". It also shows an Elisabeth Ritchie in Inverkeilor born to a William Ritchie and Janet Milne. As I mentioned earlier on, a Janet Milne was listed as a witness to Jean Ritchie's daughter's baptism.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 October 19 04:02 BST (UK) »
It would seem a good fit but no harm in looking for more confirmation/circumstantial evidence.

Have you traced Elizabeth & family?
Does the name Miln/Milne crop up in family names?

I've been thinking about Alexander, died in Perth, buried Dundee yet the family are mostly in Arbroath at that time?

Do any of the family marry in Dundee, could they have moved there after 1841?

Have you found the family in 1851/61 etc. for any clues?

Annie

Add...Can you please add dates to relate to as it's easier to work with.

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 October 19 04:39 BST (UK) »
It would seem a good fit but no harm in looking for more confirmation/circumstantial evidence.

Have you traced Elizabeth & family?
Does the name Miln/Milne crop up in family names?

I've been thinking about Alexander, died in Perth, buried Dundee yet the family are mostly in Arbroath at that time?

Do any of the family marry in Dundee, could they have moved there after 1841?

Have you found the family in 1851/61 etc. for any clues?

Annie

Add...Can you please add dates to relate to as it's easier to work with.

Which Elizabeth, and which dates would you like to know? I'll go dig around again.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:07 BST (UK) »
If there had been anyone in the same household on the next page, they would have been listed in FreeCEN.

They must have either died or left home.

As the AF in Dundee was in the 1841 census with his wife, and died in 1842, while your one's wife is in Arbroath, I think you can be fairly certain that the Dundee one is not yours, and the implication of the Arbroath census is that yours had died before the date of the 1841 census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 October 19 12:09 BST (UK) »
It might be worth looking at James Fotheringham who married Margaret Lumsden in 1853   :-\
They had children Alexander and Jane Ann , and his age matches the James Fotheringham in the 1841 Census.
Hopefully his death certificate(1890 Arbroath ?) would confirm his parents.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/129872559/james-fotheringham

1851 Census transcription FreeCEN.
Smithycroft , Arbroath.
Alexr Peter 66 hand loom linen weaver
Elizth Peter 55 wife
James Fotheringham 19 nephew , flax dresser hand
All born Arbroath.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 October 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
"Elizabeth Fotheringham (married name Elizabeth Gordon) is my direct ancestor, and was born in Arbroath in 1826. Jane (married name Jane Cameron) is also my direct ancestor, due to her marrying her first cousin. She was born in 1821 in St. Vigeans"

They're 1st cousins, one of each parent has to be siblings, can you tell us who those siblings are please?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 October 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
If there had been anyone in the same household on the next page, they would have been listed in FreeCEN.

They must have either died or left home.

Thanks Forfarian, I'd forgot about that!

I was thinking more on the children younger than James aged 10 in 1841 who were Alexander & twins Jess & Isabella (I haven't found them elsewhere).

Sd..."Which Elizabeth, and which dates would you like to know?"

Elizabeth (Peter) b 1798 (married 1838 St Vigeans) & 1851 census although I went looking & found it & Ev has helpfully posted it  :)

Does Elizabeth & Alexander Peter have children, have you traced them for family names (I couldn't find a death)?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 October 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People has a Jean Ritchie born in Inverkeilor to William Ritchie and Janet "Miln". It also shows an Elisabeth Ritchie in Inverkeilor born to a William Ritchie and Janet Milne. As I mentioned earlier on, a Janet Milne was listed as a witness to Jean Ritchie's daughter's baptism.

Who were the witnesses to the marriage of Alexander Fotheringham & Jane Ritchie?

William Ritchie & Janet Miln(e) married 1790 Inverkeilor

Children b Inverkeilor;

Jean 1793 married Alexander Fotheringham 1820 St Vigeans
Isobel 1794
Ann 1796
Elizabeth 1798 married Alexander Peter 1838 St Vigeans
William 1801

(Possibly more)?

It would be worth checking for more marriages/children/witnesses/sponsors/census'/deaths

Just wondering if you have the Inventory from SP in Wills section for Ann Shield Fotheringham?

Annie

Add...Some OPRs can be full of useful info. e.g. Occ/area living (not just the parish name)/witnesses/sponsors & other little snippets although it depends where & by whom.