Author Topic: Origin of the surname Gordon in Angus, specifically the Arbroath area  (Read 560 times)

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Origin of the surname Gordon in Angus, specifically the Arbroath area
« on: Wednesday 02 October 19 00:57 BST (UK) »
I have a question regarding the origin of this family name. I know it's probably impossible to know for sure, but where do you all think the name originates in this part of Scotland? Are people with the surname Gordon in this area connected at all to Clan Gordon of Aberdeen, or are those completely different people?
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of the surname Gordon in Angus, specifically the Arbroath area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 01:16 BST (UK) »
I think it best you post details of your ancestors as nobody will know for sure, Gordon being a common name & widely spread.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 01:22 BST (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 09:58 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this?
https://www.scotweb.co.uk/info/gordon/
Sorry, Annie, I don't like to contradict you but when I say, as I do boringly often, "Never trust anything you find online", I do include commercial web sites of this sort, some of which peddle or parrot arrant nonsense in efforts to sell tartanalia. This specific information in this particular site may or may not be correct, but neither I nor sdgillen can instantly tell whether or not it is.

May I suggest that the Gordons' own web site https://www.houseofgordon.org/ is more likely to be a reliable source of information about the family (who, be it noted, do not call themselves 'Clan Gordon').

sdgillen, Annie is absolutely correct in saying that you need to pursue your own line carefully back in time. It's quite possible that any Gordons in Arbroath were connected to the clan if you could get back far enough, but the chances of that are small, and starting with the clan and trying to work forwards will get you nowhere.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.