Author Topic: Corbet /Sweeney /Martin cousins  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Corbet /Sweeney /Martin cousins
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 October 19 00:09 BST (UK) »
Look at the dark brown area at the bottom of the page
See the heading Your Tools
Surname Interests is on the list just click that.

Offline peter spry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 October 19 02:46 BST (UK) »
Oh yes,thanks

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 October 19 16:11 BST (UK) »
Just confirming that the Bridget Corbett in question was an elder sister of my grandfather. We know nothing about her, apart from a story that she ran away to Spain.

I'm only in contact with one person from this line, my aunt. We know that at least three of my grandfather's siblings had children.

We also know that there is somebody at Ancestry.co who is almost certainly a second cousin of mine from this line.
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 May 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
What information are you looking for?
I can see her birth https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01737/1686491.pdf
and siblings
This is the family in 1911
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Mitchelstown/Ballykearney/439527/

It sounds like you need to work back from your mother rather than forward from Bridget if I'm following you correctly.

It's not possible to work back from PS73's mother, since she never knew who her parents were. Details are in this post https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=819623.msg6818889#msg6818889

Bridget Corbett being the unknown mother is the most likely theory from what we know, which is in truth very little.
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline 105802020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Just confirming that the Bridget Corbett in question was an elder sister of my grandfather. We know nothing about her, apart from a story that she ran away to Spain.

I'm only in contact with one person from this line, my aunt. We know that at least three of my grandfather's siblings had children.

We also know that there is somebody at Ancestry.co who is almost certainly a second cousin of mine from this line.

Hi apologies for popping on a year after this thread started but - we're following this line and believe Bridget Corbett to be my great great grandaunt

Margaret Corbett is my great grandmother.

Original poster - The Martin cousins, I would guess are the same as ours, and you're looking at Irelands own Taoiseach Micheál Martin, his mother is Eileen (Lana) Martin nee Corbett.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 August 22 02:08 BST (UK) »

Hi apologies for popping on a year after this thread started but - we're following this line and believe Bridget Corbett to be my great great grandaunt

Margaret Corbett is my great grandmother.

Original poster - The Martin cousins, I would guess are the same as ours, and you're looking at Irelands own Taoiseach Micheál Martin, his mother is Eileen (Lana) Martin nee Corbett.

No apology necessary - we're absolutely delighted that another relative has made contact !

Sorry for the delay in replying, but somehow I missed the notification of your post !

We'd be delighted to share the information that we have on the family - maybe with a new relative involved we can fill in some of the gaps and possibly help confirm the identity of Pete's (PS73) grandmother.

Have you or any of your family taken a DNA test ?

I've sent you a personal message, but I think you need to have made a few more posts here at Rootschat to reply to it.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 September 22 08:38 BST (UK) »
Well, it's been just over a month since that last post and there's been no response from user 105802020. I know that a month is nothing compared to the two years it took for me to respond to user 105802020's first (and only) post here at Rootschat, so I'm still hoping that we will get a response at some time

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 September 22 19:53 BST (UK) »
105802020 just checking that your emails are reaching your ok.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 105802020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 September 22 22:06 BST (UK) »
Oh my gosh I'm so sorry to have missed these replies! I was away then totally forgot!

I'm going to be down with my parents tomorrow and will post a bit more when I chat to them, they know far more than I

Have never done the DNA tests but we're trying to decide which kind to get, I'm thinking of doing a my ancestry one.