Author Topic: 1930s Scottish Wedding Attire / Accessories?  (Read 1583 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 1930s Scottish Wedding Attire / Accessories?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:19 BST (UK) »
Didn't the Scottish Ladies or House Maid place Purple Heather on the mattress under a blanket and sheet, to make the bed feel springy and scented.
I don't know about that*, but I believe that poorer people did fill mattress covers with heather, simply because it was plentiful.

Who said the Scots didn't like a bit of comfort  :)
Probably John Knox and his fellow Calvinists :)

*The plant whose name suggests it was used in this way is Lady's Bedstraw (Galium verum). See http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=102710204
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: 1930s Scottish Wedding Attire / Accessories?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 October 19 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you, your link was very interesting about dried Lady's Bedstraw used for stuffing beds.

My Grandmother gave a lot of accounts, but I was no more than about 8 and I fear the detail over 50 years is lost. Also mentioned by her was the Fleur de Lis symbol in a discussion with my Mum's Father, they thought it unlikely to be HOODs, which prompted a discussion about Raven and Rook like birds.

Robert the Bruce, Mary Queen of Scots, King James VI and I, the Stewarts / Stuart and Battles:- Bannockburn; Prestonpans, Culloden, were all mentioned by my late Grandmother.

Another Hood line (some were Quakers) descending from our George Hood of Selby mentions an "oil painting of Burns" in a Will. I enquired to see if that Hood line were still Quakers, they are not it seems, my contact coincidentally knew of them, but apparently they had little family knowledge. No direct response.

Oh I wish she had written the detail down.

My Hood relations say they only knew our Hood line back to the Richardson marriage, so if anything of my Grandmother is true, it possibly may come from the Female side of a Marriage.

My Grandmother had died, before I became interested about 25 years ago, when trawling the Census Reels was done in an Archive.

Mark