Author Topic: O Connor/Connor Omagh  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: O Connor/Connor Omagh
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 December 19 15:16 GMT (UK) »

On my grandmothers Kathleen O'Connors side we can find no trace of the O'Connors father Francis but my grandmothers sister Margaret O'Connor married a John Burke (his father was Michael Burke) on the 7/10/1919 in Omagh. Her address was Mountjoy East Omagh. My grandmother also had a sister Mary O'Connor who married a Patrick Cassidy on the 13th of November 1910 in Omagh. Marriage no 184. We can not find the O'Connor family being registered but suspect they lived in Mountjoy East Omagh as a few of the marriages gave that address. If we could only find a birth certificate we would know my grandmothers, mothers name. 

This might be the birth record of your grandmother in 1891, father Francis, mother Mary Anne and MMN McCann (?). The townland is Correnarry (sic). Corranarry and Mountjoy Forest East border eachother.    #165
  https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1891/02389/1891178.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/strabane-upper/cappagh-upper-strabane-portion/corranarry/
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/strabane-upper/cappagh-upper-strabane-portion/mount-joy-forest-east-division/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Mary McGrath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 December 19 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, but we do not think this is the right family although it is a possibility.This family very much go by the name Connor. My sister has delved more into this and she was the one who informed you that the name McCauley was wrong. The reason we think this is not the family as we understand my grandmother was 18 when she married and was 19 when my father Patrick McGrath was born. Also we are sure there was a Peter in the family and there is no Peter in this family. They also were as far as we know all know by the name O'Connor. We really appreciate your help, it is like a jig saw puzzle and as I say my father died so young when we as a family go 8 had no knowledge of our ancestors and it is only this last few years we are anxious to know our people. My father lived with Sarah McGrath in Drumragh I think till he was 9 and his mother then took him from there. My father always spoke very kindly of his aunt Sarah. We are sure there must be people out there who are connected to us on both sides that we would dearly like to know who they are. Our first aim would be to erect a headstone on my grandfather Robert McGraths grave. The McGrath family were registered one time in Edergoole, I think the 1911 census and my grandfather Robert McGrath's mother name was Ann Jane Black.Thank you so much for your help.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 December 20 12:56 GMT (UK) »
You mention the "house in Glasgow". I suspect we are related somehow, since I am descended from Teresa O'Connor (1867-1954). Her roots seem to lie in Omagh, but we're not 100% sure. Her parents are listed as James O'Connor and Jane O'Connor. I can't find anything more out about them, a certain Jane Connor does appear on her 1893 marriage to Eugene Gallagher, however. We have plenty of family in Co. Tyrone and Co. Fermanagh. It is just difficult piecing together how they all relate to us.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 December 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774938.18
Here is the other thread for Teresa O'Connor. Her parents, as I said, were James O'Connor and Jane O'Connor. Other details are on the thread, but it's still a mystery to me.

Offline Mary McGrath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for getting in touch and for the link to the additional background information. From what is available is not possible to find any connection between our families, though if we went far enough back, we would certainly have a common O'Connor heritage in Tyrone. Your family clearly came to Scotland in the mid 1800's. We know of no family connection with Scotland until around 1920. Our great grandparents were Francis O'Connor and, we believe Mary Ann McFarland. We now know they were from the Sion Mills area and married somewhere around 1880, but know nothing further than that. With very best wishes in your search. Mary McGrath

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that! The odd thing is that they may have been aware of each other, as is often the case in rural Ireland. My research has led me to discover that my O'Connor family remained in contact with another branch in Co. Fermanagh, who I recently re-discovered, until the 1980s. Unfortunately, the most recent common ancestor is at least on the scale of Teresa's great-grandparents. They knew they were cousins, and it would have to be at least 3rd-4th cousins, but they didn't note down how the relationship worked out! Teresa and her husband Eugene Gallagher lived in Fleetwood, Lancashire for the first few years of their marriage. Who knows if they made contact with some of your lot, at one point or another? Best, Amac1210