Author Topic: Philipp families Llandilo, Llangolman, Manachlogh, Henlan Amgoed late 1700s  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Philipp families Llandilo, Llangolman, Manachlogh, Henlan Amgoed late 1700s
« on: Saturday 05 October 19 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to trace Thomas Philipps (maybe Phillipps or Philips),his wife Mary, and a large family mostly christened in Henllan Amgoed. They emigrated to Pennsylvania with Theophilus Rees in the late 1700s. and their activities there, and subsequently in Ohio, are well documented. However, I can't trace two of their children Erasmus and Esther, and I am not sure where Thomas and Mary came from.
It is possible that one of them was descended from the Phillipps's of Picton Castle, but that is purely conjectural

The Ohio research turned up an old map of a farm that I have located in Llandilo, North of Llandissilio Carmarthenshire

I am attaching a record of a conveyance that might be the same farm

Your help would be very much appreciated,
Thanks again
Llanfi

Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Philipp families Llandilo, Llangolman, Manachlogh, Henlan Amgoed late 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:25 BST (UK) »
any clue to the age of Thomas & Mary?

There's a 1740 will for a Thomas Phillip of Henllan Amgoed which mentions daughters Mary & Catherine, son Thomas, bulk of the estate to son John & wife Esther, possibly born Parry as there's mention of brother in law David Parry. Possibly related?
Also a will for an Erasmus Phillips of Cilymaenllwyd but his estate goes to a relative, no children mentioned, only an invalid sister.
Parish records from that period for Henllan Amgoed don't appear to be included in the ones on FindmyPast.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 October 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from you Osprey!

Esther and Erasmus were the children of Thomas Philipps and Mary (?) and they all emigrated to America after 1795,
Thomas Philipps was born 1735 in Carmarthenshire and died in Licking Ohio in 1813.
I have a record of Thomas Philipp and Mary John getting married at Henry's Moat in 1766. Henry's Moat is a few miles from Llandilo, but marriages were only performed in the Church of Wales in those days, and that might have been the nearest.
Thomas and family went to Pennsylvania before moving on to Ohio.
Hope this helps!!

Llanfi :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 October 19 15:52 BST (UK) »
possible baptism 20 September 1734 in Llandissilio for Thomas son of Thomas Philip.

Couple of Llandyssilio wills
From 1760 Thomas Phillips, Gent., of Sarnywian - youngest daughter Mary; eldest daughter Catherine married to Richard Gibbin; wife Elizabeth; youngest son Price; eldest son Thomas. Testator signed Phillipps.
From 1767 Thomas Phillip of Kilevach - brother Isaac; niece Lettice married to Rees Bynon;John Phillip Taylor (occupation or name?) son of John Phillip of Lloyn y garreg; Lettice wife of Phillip Protheroe; cousin Cassandra wife of George Griffith; paupers belonging to congregation of Rhidwillin; Thomas, bastard son of brother John by Catherine Scourfield; Margaret, bastard daughter of brother John by Elinor wife of David Morris; executors are Thomas & Margaret.

I wonder if this Thomas who inherits from his uncle is your man? The bequest to Rhydwilym Church shows a link to the emigration to Pennsylvania. The list of members of the church may help.

https://archives.library.wales/index.php/members-of-rhydwilym-baptist-chapel

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 03:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Osprey,
There is a 15 November 1766 marriage between Thomas Phillip and Mary John at Henry's Moat in Llandissilio Parish. The old map was drawn by Henry John in 1779, see attached.

Henry and Mary were probably related ... I will check.

I obtained the Rhydwilym list of members, but there are no Phillips, but several from the John Family

The 1787 will is very interesting and I will check the 1760 one further

I am very grateful for your help, and I will keep you posted!

Llanfi
 :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline katherineannely

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am also researching Thomas and Mary and where they came from. I am equally having zero luck... have you come across any more information?

I have:
Thomas Phillips DOB: 1735 died in 1813 in PA
Mary Philipps DOB: ~1745? 1738? died in 1809 in PA

Erasmus I have DOB: Aug 9th 1750 and Died in 1801. He had a wife but I dont have any more information on her and a daughter Josephine
Esther I do not have any information