Author Topic: Harry Bradbury  (Read 6890 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Bradbury
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:42 BST (UK) »

Who are the informants on these birth certificates.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
On your spreadsheet,  did you note who provided the info,  and if so what did the bdm clerks record when Harry was the informant?

Remembering that the bdm clerks were recording into ledger books facing themselves at tall, wide imposing counters and only turned these ledgers to the informant to say 'sign here' ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kay Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:52 BST (UK) »
Harry Bradbury is the informant in some of his childrens' birth records which state he was born in London and also that he was born in Sydney and Parramatta so he himself has recorded different information, not just his wife whereas Sarah Ann alternatively calls herself Sarah Ann and Sarah Mary and has Harry being born in London in all the certificates she was informant for.
Lycett, Staffs; Cross, Chesire; Green, Cheshire; Arden, Cheshire; Rushton, Staffs; Johnson, Notts; Lappan, Ireland; Bradbury, London?; Poole, Chelmsford; Wilshire, Chelmsford

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 October 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
Michael BRADBURY a sailor, is included in the NSW 1828 census.   :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 October 19 11:03 BST (UK) »

"...His parents were supposedly Michael Bradbury, Sailor and Bridget Murphy."

What is your source for this information?

Harry has a family of girls.....does he give the name Bridget to a daughter?

Do you have the death certificate for Harry BRADBURY.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 October 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
Harry Bradbury is the informant in some of his childrens' birth records which state he was born in London and also that he was born in Sydney and Parramatta so he himself has recorded different information, not just his wife whereas Sarah Ann alternatively calls herself Sarah Ann and Sarah Mary and has Harry being born in London in all the certificates she was informant for.

I am confident that the clerks in deputy registrar offices did the actual recording of the info and that some clerks were more particular than others when they posed the questions in that verbal process... If your chap was registering a birth in Qld the clerk may have asked Harry 'where were you born' and Harry may have said 'NSW'  and clerk may have replied 'Sydney?'  Afterall,  Parramatta River empties into Sydney Harbour.   You should expect variation depends on the diligence of the recorder when the info from that era
 was verbal.  Even the answer 'London' may have been presumed by the clerk ... guessing Harry's origin after they had left the counter area instead of actually asking the question.

JM

Offline Kay Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 October 19 13:14 BST (UK) »
Harry did not give any daughter the name Bridget.  I have his death certificate and there are lots of unknowns on it so it is of no help at all.  I agree that the clerks could well have misheard of presumed information.  London was probably a standard answer for English people anyway so I am not betting that he actually was born in London but I do think he was English
Lycett, Staffs; Cross, Chesire; Green, Cheshire; Arden, Cheshire; Rushton, Staffs; Johnson, Notts; Lappan, Ireland; Bradbury, London?; Poole, Chelmsford; Wilshire, Chelmsford

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 October 19 14:06 BST (UK) »
Why do you think he was English?  Have you found him on 1851 and 1861 and 1871 UK census?

,'English'  is on many crew lists for my great uncle who was born Sydney NSW 1870s and went to sea at 13,  even says 'English' when on voyages into Sydney from ports outside of the British Empire ...

JM

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 October 19 14:40 BST (UK) »
Have you  looked at any Irish records - Bridget Murphy is a name of Irish origin.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON