Author Topic: Harry Bradbury  (Read 6892 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Bradbury
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:19 BST (UK) »

If you have birth certificates for the children of Harry BRADBURY and they record place of birth for father Harry you need to name the informant. 

Who is giving Harry a birthplace of .....Sydney.....Parramatta......?

Is there no birthplace on the marriage record?

Is this your Harry Arthur BRADBURY -
Evening News 15 Jan 1916 p2
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/115273255?
....Witness was in his 70th year married and had 27 grand children. He had been a
man- o -war- man for 15 years.

If you have documents that record Harry's birthplace........be guided by the documents where Harry is the informant.   Harry is recording his own birthplace.

Offline Kay Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:19 BST (UK) »
I believe Sarah Ann Wilsher from Chelmsford Essex may have Poole family who emigrated to Queensland around the same time so there may be Poole marriages as she states her mother was Elizabeth Poole and her father Henry Wilsher, market gardener.  I also can’t find that Henry Wilsher and Elizabeth Poole has a daughter called Sarah Ann and they married after she was born then had several children.  I have been  advised by an Ancestry English member that Elizabeth Poole had an illigitimate daughter, born around the right time, before she married Henry Wilsher called Sarah Carpenter Poole and I am presently following that up as Sarah Wilsher is another brick wall for me.  There was a William and Elizabeth Wilsher from Chelmsford who had a daughter Sarah born around the right time so wonder if Sarah lied about her parents.  She appeared to be underage when she and Harry Bradbury married.  I have DNA matches to Pooles and Wilshers from the Chelmsford area so am confident that I am on the right track but there seems to be lots of Wilsher and Poole families in that area, especially from Writtle (close to Chelmsford) so it is hard to find the right family
Lycett, Staffs; Cross, Chesire; Green, Cheshire; Arden, Cheshire; Rushton, Staffs; Johnson, Notts; Lappan, Ireland; Bradbury, London?; Poole, Chelmsford; Wilshire, Chelmsford

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome  ;)

Some questions ...

Re the 1874 m.c.  who were the witnesses,  what occupation for your Harry,  from his signature how did he spell his surname

Re Sydney v Parramatta ...  could this minor  variation just reflect the recorder's poor spelling as likely it was verbal info being recorded on registers...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kay Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:26 BST (UK) »
I believe that the witness in the Trove article is my Harry Bradbury as he lived only a couple of streets away from where the incident took place and he had around the right number of grandchildren.  I also found an article where a married man abandoned his family in Ipswich and was arrested in Brisbane.  The charges were dropped by the wife and shortly thereafter the family moved to Sydney.  I don’t believe the court records exist any longer but it is a coincidence that those events happened so close together.  Sarah Ann Wilsher was a strict catholic and could have been ashamed of what her husband had done, which could have triggered the move away from Ipswich.  My mother remembered her quite well so have some first hand information about her.
Lycett, Staffs; Cross, Chesire; Green, Cheshire; Arden, Cheshire; Rushton, Staffs; Johnson, Notts; Lappan, Ireland; Bradbury, London?; Poole, Chelmsford; Wilshire, Chelmsford

Offline Kay Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:27 BST (UK) »
I have no reason to believe Harry Bradbury was born in Australia and his ship record and marriage record have him as being English.  I think he was just a difficult man

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
POOLE, SARAH  MARY mmn POOLE 
GRO Reference: 1847  S Quarter in KINGS NORTON  Volume 18  Page 362

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:36 BST (UK) »
I have no reason to believe Harry Bradbury was born in Australia and his ship record and marriage record have him as being English.  I think he was just a difficult man

Civil registration did not commence in the colony of New South Wales until 1856.  Your chap could have been born NSW as you mentioned earlier he was born c 1849 and you have not found him in England where civil registration commenced 1837.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kay Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:39 BST (UK) »
I have compiled a spreadsheet of all the information I have about Harry Bradbury and Sarah Wilsher but it is too large to post.  In 7 out of 10 of his childrens' birth records his birthplace is shown as London. 

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 October 19 10:41 BST (UK) »

"...His parents were supposedly Michael Bradbury, Sailor and Bridget Murphy."

What is your source for this information?

Harry has a family of girls.....does he give the name Bridget to a daughter?

Do you have the death certificate for Harry BRADBURY.