Author Topic: Looking for info on the parents of ancestor Charles Gordon (1771 Arbroath)  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on the parents of ancestor Charles Gordon (1771 Arbroath)
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 10 October 19 23:59 BST (UK) »
It's difficult to try & work out without drawing out some sort of diagram with names/dates/parents/naming patterns etc. but again looking at the original images could well help?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 11 October 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
Being doing a bit of reading, seems the Kininmonths had status!

"Kininmonths had farmed in Fife from at least the 18th century onwards."

https://fifefhs.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PUBLISHED-FAMILY-HISTORIES.pdf

Plenty of info. with names I'd be exploring if it was my tree & there seems to be a book too!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 11 October 19 00:33 BST (UK) »
Being doing a bit of reading, seems the Kininmonths had status!

"Kininmonths had farmed in Fife from at least the 18th century onwards."

https://fifefhs.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PUBLISHED-FAMILY-HISTORIES.pdf

Plenty of info. with names I'd be exploring if it was my tree & there seems to be a book too!

Annie

I'll check it out. Also, it seems like Kininmonth is the standard spelling for that name and the name originated in Fife, so I guess Kinnements was a misspelling on behalf of the church.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 11 October 19 00:46 BST (UK) »
My belief is, children were christened at home & the Minister took notes which were then copied into the Register, sometimes at long intervals i.e. if anything like my own scribbled notes, knowing what it is at the time then at a later date can't make head nor tail i.e. it's very likely errors occurred.

Can I just ask if you have a definite confirmed paper trail for each generation back to 1700s & have you done DNA & had matches linking with those areas?

Annie

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 11 October 19 04:33 BST (UK) »
My belief is, children were christened at home & the Minister took notes which were then copied into the Register, sometimes at long intervals i.e. if anything like my own scribbled notes, knowing what it is at the time then at a later date can't make head nor tail i.e. it's very likely errors occurred.

Can I just ask if you have a definite confirmed paper trail for each generation back to 1700s & have you done DNA & had matches linking with those areas?

Annie

Yes, I do have a paper trail. My DNA tests link me with Ireland and Scotland, which is where I always knew my ancestors were from. 23andme shows Aberdeen and Glasgow for Scotland, though, if that's what you mean by matches to particular areas.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 11 October 19 05:11 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if you have had any matches with descendants of your Scottish folks surnames to the areas you have researched them to be from e.g. Gordons in Arbroath or Kininmonth in Kinghorn?

It's 23andme my brother done his test with & the only matches I see are my direct paternal side, nothing for our maternal side  ::)

Annie

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 12 October 19 00:07 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if you have had any matches with descendants of your Scottish folks surnames to the areas you have researched them to be from e.g. Gordons in Arbroath or Kininmonth in Kinghorn?

It's 23andme my brother done his test with & the only matches I see are my direct paternal side, nothing for our maternal side  ::)

Annie

Yes, I have matched with some people who have Gordon ancestry as well. I do know however that these are my ancestors; my grandfather and his cousin did a very good job of preserving original documents, letters to and from distant Gordon cousins, etc. I actually have the original marriage certificate from the 19th century from David Cameron and Ann Gordon, which shows both of their parents. 
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 12 October 19 02:41 BST (UK) »
The name John Petrie sounds familiar; I'm pretty sure there's a distant cousin or uncle named John Petrie Gordon in the family.

GORDON JOHN PETRIE
JAMES GORDON/ELIZABETH DUNCAN
02/04/1826
311/50 31 Monikie

Who were the witnesses as all this info. could help in some way?

Annie