Author Topic: Charles Newenham and Ann Bowler, Snugmore (near Kinsale)  (Read 3687 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Newenham and Ann Bowler, Snugmore (near Kinsale)
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 26 September 20 02:35 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say thanks for the link to the Quaker Newenham family. I know that some of the Bowler family were also Quaker. I will read it tomorrow with fresh eyes but have already seen some familiar names (Massey, John Webb). Hallmark, Fergal and you have certainly found some interesting things that might give me more clues!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 26 September 20 22:34 BST (UK) »
Here is the wedding announcement of Charles Newenham and Sarah Daunt, 19 Sep 1824-one mistake North instead of Worth. This was in the Westmeath Journal on 24 Sep 1824.

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 27 September 20 02:19 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen it already the landed estates database is always worth a look for properties like Coolmore. Here is the entry for the Newenhams

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/family-show.jsp?id=2852

It is interesting that some of the transactions related to the estate were with families whose members married Newenhams like Hodder and your Daunt.

Maryborough, on the same page, was built by Richard the eldest son of my Quaker John Newenham.

Alan

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 27 September 20 02:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Alan. Very interesting about the connection to your John Newenham and Maryborough. It looks enormous and beautiful. I have been going through various BMDs and just can't find any birth or baptismal evidence of Charles, Henry or Elizabeth. On the Quaker front I believe Edward and Ann Riggs were part of the church correct. There is a connection to the Bowler family in that one of the decedents married Walter Bowler, a sovereign of Kinsale.

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 27 September 20 14:46 BST (UK) »

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 28 September 20 01:00 BST (UK) »
I found this but realized this is the line you meant (where Charles, Henry and Elizabeth weren't named). Could they be the children of his wife Catherine and he adopted them? She had no issue with him but maybe the three were hers?

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 28 September 20 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The entry in the death record certainly seems to be her. I can't make out the word after 'widow'. I would be very interested to know what others think is says.

I don't think that your explanation for the children missing from Burke's Irish Family Records can be right. The petition that you found clearly stated that the three children were minors when their father died, which was in 1814. They must therefore all have been born after 1793, ie after all the children listed in Burke. Their parents married in 1783.

The author of the Burke genealogy plainly didn't know when Louisa nee Sandford died, so it is possible that she died before her husband, that he married again and that the children were from a second marriage. However, it is not clear why this should have affected their inheritance of the Coolmore estate which came from their father's rather than their mother's family.

Alan

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 28 September 20 03:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry, the yellow highlight was because of my search but I was thinking the next generation (married Catherine Tighe). That being said, Catherine was born in 1786 so was too young to be married before and have three children.There is a William Newenham married to Barbara Green in 1792. By now I am grasping at straws.

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 14:17 BST (UK) »
It looks like W.W. Newenham's wife Louisa died in or around 17 Mar 1791, days after the birth of her last son George. The record I found states "...died last night at Coolmore the Lady of William Worth Newenham, Esq." CEP, 17 Mar 1791. So Charles, Henry and Elizabeth must have been the product of a second marriage. The marriage of a W.W. Newenham to Barbara Lynam/Green isn't the correct W.W. (he is the son of relative and based in Dublin).