Author Topic: Shevlane Origins  (Read 9964 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shevlane Origins
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 13 October 19 17:55 BST (UK) »
Where are your records from re Edward being the father?

I found Manus’ marriage so can see that now.

They are in Toorglass townland and Edmond is shown in Griffiths

https://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/mayo/kilcommon.htm

How have you linked them to Michael?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 13 October 19 18:43 BST (UK) »

C Reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for Shev* of Belmullet
Area - Belmullet

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oie/

The ones with  Returns Page No  don't have Images yet!

Check Link every now and then for updates!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 13 October 19 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have been using that method, Hallmark but I think there are some missing entries.
I have looked for a couple of marriages about 1895 but not indexed.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 13 October 19 18:55 BST (UK) »

Maybe they just didn't Register then.....or Registered them in some other District.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 13 October 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
I know Edward to be father by means of elimination - Ned Shevlane's son Patrick, for whom I posted a birth record earlier, lives with "Uncle" Manus Shevlane and wife Maggie in 1911. This Manus is certainly not son of Michael Shevlane, grandfather of Patrick and father of John Shevlane who married Bridget Murphy. Therefore Manus must be a "Great-Uncle", and looking at his 1865 marriage shows Edward Shevlane as father. It also explains where Ned Shevlane (Edward) - son of Michael - got his name from! It's coming together a fair bit now I think, so I aim to push back further yet.

The Belmullet registers frustratingly lack digitisation much of the time. Moreover, as you say, some records that should be there simply aren't due to lack of recording. I have this issue with identifying parents of Anthony Kelly who married Ann Carey in 1869. I scanned every single Belmullet marriage for that year, and no luck. It wasn't recorded. This is discussed a little on two other threads - one specifically for Anthony Kelly and his family, another about Major Bingham. Any further ideas Hallmark, on this side of things? I mentioned Daniel Kelly as a possible brother? Thanks.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 13 October 19 22:51 BST (UK) »

No, I've given up on that lot when I posted a g/stone of someone marrying in Wexford to a Bingham or a Kelly that was "nephew of Lord Clanmorris".......

Obviously a brother of this Lord and no one had a clue who he was!

My head got fried trying to keep track of them all and with no basic tree posted e.g from 1750 to 1850 compiled about the one's postedm for a non-Bingham "helper", it is just too much to remember them all.

I'm suppose to know the first name of this Lord so that I can try to figure out/remember who the father of the Groom was!!

It is obvious he was one of the Kelly lot and a new find.... and not an R.C one!!

Marrying a Vicar or Dean's daughter.......

There could even be a Civil Reg for that Marriage or a Marriage Agreement Registered or a Pedigree of whatever family he married into in Weford.

If I remember correctly on that thread they insisted the Kellys were all poor R.C's .... The newly found Marriage and subsequent g/stone I posted PROVES they weren't.

The registers for that Church of Ireland Church where that Marriage took place are online..... has anyone even bothered to see what details are there for this new found Kelly??

I posted about Tokay and the Daly's there only to be told they weren't part of the Dunsandle lot.... how was I to know if they were or not?

Recently posted about Hyacinth being there...he was part of this Dunsandle lot!

I posted a snippet of DeBurke's connection to the Binghams and later some Marriage of a daughter or g/daughter.

Probably no one has looked to see if there were any Bingham-Kelly children born from this Wexford C of I Marriage and who they Married and their Kelly religion?  G/nephews to this Lord, whatever his first name was!!

Here is photo of this "new" Wexford Bingham Kelly.......   

The Kelly's were ovbiously well-to-do, non-RC, so certainly possible (and they probably insisted!! ) that any Marriages for them were in non-R.C churches in order for these to be "Legal" in the eyes of the State and any children of marriages Legally recognized for inheritances etc!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 13 October 19 23:55 BST (UK) »
Addition: Manus Shevlane seems to have been another brother - as he was uncle to Ned Shevlane's son. Just found death record for Ned Shevlane at Shragh in 1903. He was only 45 years old, and this explains why the son Patrick ends up with his uncle Manus. Though given the age gap I do wonder if Manus was perhaps a great-uncle? Indeed he and "Maggie" seem to marry in 1865, with this record: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1865/11594/8266557.pdf. That means I have John Shevlane son of Michael Shevlane son of Edward Shevlane. It also means his brother Ned was just named after a grandfather.

I think you are mistaken re Ned above.
Edward married Sabina Calpin.
They both died and their children Patrick, Bridget and Anne are with their Calpin family in 1911
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Rathill/Tullaghanbaun/707822/

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 14 October 19 01:37 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Michael Shevlane and Ann Barret March 1858 - dispensation for 3rd and 4th degree of consanguinity

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634607#page/7/mode/1up

Ah so Ann Barrett and Michael Shevlane are cousins? Hopefully I can locate their exact relationship. Though no death records obvious for either of them, which frustrates research. When we say 3rd degree what level of relationship are we talking about?

Chart for working out degrees of consanguinity. Before looking at it read list of hints. Hint 1. ".. errors exist in marriage records ..  dispensation noted may not be correct."
 www.islandregister.com/cworksheet.html
Link to "Consanguinity tutorial" is below the chart. Read that for explanation of 3rd -4th degree.
My estimate is 2nd or 3rd cousins or 2nd cousins-once-removed. First cousins would be 2nd degree.
Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 14 October 19 07:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maiden Stone. It is complicated and reading articles about Canon Law describe consanguinity differently.  :-\

This is one but there are others
https://canonlawmadeeasy.com/2010/09/09/can-cousins-marry-in-the-church/

What do you think?

It looks as though it would be difficult to research in any case and Barrett is a very common name in the area but you never know  :)