Author Topic: Shevlane Origins  (Read 9968 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shevlane Origins
« Reply #45 on: Monday 14 October 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maiden Stone. It is complicated and reading articles about Canon Law describe consanguinity differently.  :-\

This is one but there are others
https://canonlawmadeeasy.com/2010/09/09/can-cousins-marry-in-the-church/

What do you think?

It looks as though it would be difficult to research in any case and Barrett is a very common name in the area but you never know  :)

It's complicated and confusing.
 I have that article bookmarked. It has brother and sister as 2nd degree consanguinity. I've occasionally seen 2nd- some other degree in registers but obviously siblings can't marry. I've seen plenty of 3rd-3rd degree consanguinity marriages. According to that article they wouldn't be allowed either. Priests in parishes whose registers I've looked at seem to have used a different method of calculation.
The link I posted is to a tutorial written from a family history point of view rather than a theological one. I think the chart is clearer than some others I've seen and more accurately reflects what was in marriage registers. Recalling my original reading if it and other article by the writer, s/he had other evidence about the ancestors (in Canada) being researched which either corroborated information about consanguinity or affinity in marriage registers or showed errors.
There is an article in the Catholic Encyclopaedia with a chart at the end. Several pages of history and theology before it so I didn't post it.
The basic rule, as I understand it is that marriages between 1st-cousins are not allowed except for very serious reasons. A request for a dispensation for 1st-cousin marriage has to be sent to the bishop's representative and possibly higher (Vatican); admin fee is more and it takes time. The Canadian writer has an example of one which was refused (another blog).
There may be more research on the topic from a social or FH viewpoint.
There is no evidence that any of my Irish ancestors married people to whom they were already related so I've never tried to untangle a consanguinity or affinity connection.

Cowban

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 14 October 19 15:52 BST (UK) »
Yes; the children are with maternal grandparents in 1911, but in 1901 Patrick is with Manus Shevlane. Unless he is another Patrick?

I've not yet checked Michael Bingham Kelly, and I would have to find Co. Wexford registers. I will see what I can find, though I don't think he directly relates to me or even to Edward Kelly. I say this especially looking at the dates - he died in 1880s. I am trying to find parents and grandparents of Anthony Kelly who was born in around 1838 and died 1911. I don't see any other approach than naming pattern. Marriage simply not registered civilly, and he never applied for Old Age Pension. It's very frustrating. For sure, he and his family were R.C. but that didn't stop young Denis Bingham - son of Arthur Shayn Bingham - having a kid with Mary "Maria" Kelly. Nor did it stop them employing Anthony Kelly (1883-1969). Nor did it stop Major Denis Bingham farther back in time marrying an R.C. I have messaged a user who descends from Edward Kelly as to whether she can fill in gaps for his children. One is named Thomas Kelly - who partcipated in 1798 Rebellion and got sent to the Plantations by Major Denis as a result. This marked end of friendship with his brother-in-law Edward Kelly.

The consanginuity here may be impenetrable given dates. We'd have to know both Anne Barrett's and Michael Shevlane's grandparents, which goes back into early-mid 1700s. I wish they had collected more oral history from Belmullet folk - it would make all this much more easy. In the absence of patrynomics I'm not sure how to get beyond Edward Shevlane?

Thanks to all.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 14 October 19 15:57 BST (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation shows many people among my ancestors, many thanks for that link Heywood! I see my ancestor Hugh Carey at Doolough, and note a James Carey and Patrick Carey there also. Makes me wonder if they are connected.

I also see Terence Kelly at Muingmore, the township where old Anthony Kelly lived. Connected do you think, Hallmark? Is the township a good clue?

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:04 BST (UK) »
I see Richard Shevlane at Glencullin Upper, though his name is wrote Richard Shovelin. My Shevlane family were from Shragh. Assuming that Edward Shevlane is not indeed Michael's father, do you think Neal Shevlane looks promising? Indeed he shows up at Srahmore (perhaps not far from Srah/Shragh). But again not sure how much movement there was. Also worth noting that Neal had a son Edward according to online tree. This Neal was born c.1827 and died 1900 which might indicate a younger Neal?

Curious about these non-Irish names too - e.g. Edward, Edmond, Richard, Terence? Is this longstanding English influence? Did it indicate some level of Anglophilia perhaps?

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:09 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you were right about Edward. Could this be the Patrick shown at home with uncle Manus Shevlane - https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1897/02124/1807307.pdf? Only got three Patrick Shevlanes from the years 1897-1898.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
Yes I was thinking that was the right one.

I was put off a bit though because in 1911 Mary shows 9 children born and 6 still living. There are six children recorded in 1911.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Belmullet/Toorglass/707982/

Ned and Mary show married for 17 yrs - about 1894. I can’t see a marriage entry - perhaps another missing record.  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:28 BST (UK) »
Parts of several replies #40, #46 and #47 seem to be about families and enquiries other then the current Shevlane topic. Perhaps information in them belongs on the appropriate thread(s) so as not to distract from relevant information on this one.
Cowban

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
The 9 children refer to those given before: Anne, Patrick, John, Sabina, Michael, Bridget, Martin, Mary and Kate. Another two are born in 1912 and 1914, Michael (2) and Bridget. Bridget lived to 2005. I don't know when the earlier Bridget passed away, but I assume in infancy. It would help to clear up that gap and also to find an exact record for Michael's death - that is for Michael born in 1912. Nobody remembers him indicating he must have passed before 1940s.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:37 BST (UK) »
I am referring to the children of Ned and Mary Gaughan in 1911. Census reference given in that post.
Patrick is a child born to them - you posted the birth and we are now assuming that he is the nephew with Manus and family.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk