Author Topic: Shevlane Origins  (Read 9958 times)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shevlane Origins
« Reply #54 on: Monday 14 October 19 19:11 BST (UK) »
OK, so that's Patrick. I wonder where the other patrick is at the ime? The son of Ned and Sabina Shevlane? He doesn't show up on any obvious census record for 1901. He isn't with the family of Ned and Sabina either. Bit strange.

I will have another browse through the old Belmullet registers and see if I can find other Shevlanes. There does appear a Jude or Judith Shevlane, who seems totally unrecorded otherwise. If I had more kids for Michael and Anne besides Catherine, Ned and John it might help piece things together a bit better.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 14 October 19 19:23 BST (UK) »
Operating purely by location, I note Neal Shevlane and his wife Honour Barrett - note the Barrett name coming up again too - are living in Shragh. https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03305/2211063.pdf. Maybe connected to my Michael, an uncle perhaps, or indeed a brother? Saying this it is indisputable that Michael Shevlane who married Anne Barrett is in Toorglass - where Edward and Manus lived - in the 1860s. https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03569/2314783.pdf. He had a son Patt, which gives me four children in total.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 14 October 19 19:30 BST (UK) »
I have just been looking at Judy  :)-  as you say nothing later.

Patrick is with his parents in 1901 and his Calpin family in 1911
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 14 October 19 19:38 BST (UK) »

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 14 October 19 19:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that extra birth. I think it's now going to be plunging into the old Church registers for further information. If Michael and Anne married in 1858 I'd expect one or two more children. Roughly noting some information on individuals of this generation - seem to be 3 or so Shevlane families in Briska. Namely:

William Shevlane = Catherine Barrett, John Shevlane = Biddy Mills, Bryan Shevlane = Bridget Carey.

Maybe one or two more too. Still pretty certain Richard Shevlane connects into these people, at least John Shevlane = Biddy Mills. Onto Shragh, we have:

Neal Shevlane = Honour Barrett, Michael Shevlane = Anne Barrett.

I expect some connection, and the name Edward is there for both one of Neal's sons and for one of Michael's sons. This does possibly mean that Manus Shevlane of Toorglass, where Michael Shevlane = Anne Barrett lived at one point, is indeed a brother to Michael and perhaps to Neal. I'm just using sheer naming pattern here, which is the best reasoning I can use without records. Like I said time to plunge into Church registers, and that shall wait to another day this week!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 14 October 19 19:59 BST (UK) »
Baptisms of children to Michael and Ann Barrett

February 7th Edward - sponsors Richard Barrett and Mary Shevlane (to the right of the white strip)
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634606#page/94/mode/1up

Michael (civil birth already posted) baptised 10th March sponsors John Monaghan and Bridget Shevlane

Patrick baptised 8th April sponsors John and Margaret Monaghan

There are probably more than these but these are the only ones which show on Catholic registers, Ancestry.

It might be useful if you check baptisms for sponsors.

I am sure you are doing this already, but collating the names you have according to the townlands might also help.

I have found, that there are so many people with the same surnames in that area that it is very difficult to establish family connections.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 14 October 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
We have Richard Barrett and Mary Shevlane now. I hadn't yet seen that record. This puts us in good territory - assuming Richard is Anne Barrett's brother, and Mary is Michael Shevlane's sister.

You are right about the difficulty involved. It also shows that it is quite probable everyone related to each other. I'd venture to guess every Shevlane in Belmullet of that era, from Briska to Shragh, was at least a 3rd or 4th cousin. That gives about a 100 - 150 years of ancestry, and ample time for all those families to find a common ancestor.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 17:51 BST (UK) »
21st February 1841 - Richard Shevlane is a sponsor to Baptism of Mary Geraghty daughter of John Geraghty and Mary Dougherty., Other witness Catherine Dougherty. That means there must have been an elder Richard than the Richard born c.1839, one who is not obviously on the later records. I can't make out location, perhaps something like "Camousran"? Maybe there is a death record for him somewhere though.

29th March 1841 - Richard Barrett appears as sponsor with Mary Barrett (his wife?) on Baptism of Cisly Gibbon daughter of Peter Gibbon and Mary Barrett. This may well mean that Anne Barrett, wife of Michael Shevlane, was sister of Mary Gibbon née Barrett. Assuming this is the same Richard and assuming he was standing as sponsor for his siblings each time. Location here obscured.

15th August 1841 - Richard Barrett again a sponsor along with Mary (?)Hermiston(?) to child of Anthony Barrett and Judy (?)Daly(?). I can't make out the child's name, perhaps Daniel. The location is mostly obscured again, but it seems to begin with "R". Maybe Anthony is another brother of Richard, Mary and Anne?

30th August 1841 - Richard Barrett sponsor once more (quite often it seems) to Margaret daughter of Anthony (?)Gibbon(?) and (?) Conway. Other sponsor is also a Barrett but I cannot make her first name out. Location beginning with a "B" this time, records here are very poor condition I notice.

On same page as the last record from 30th August, two up from the bottom shows a Kelly (Edmond?) having a son Michael Baptised, with wife Honour Daly. I'd be interested to see if anyone can read that name. Searching for information on Terrence Kelly, who might be father of Anthony Kelly (c.1838-1911) given common location of Muingmore. Terrence shown on Griffiths Valuation posted earlier, not directly related to Shevlanes of course. Same Kelly seems to show up as sponsor on 11th April 1842 Baptism a few pages later.

11th May 1842 - Neal Shevlane and Sally Lally show up as sponsors to Ina, daughter of Joseph (?)Tallat(?) and Ina Shevlane. I assume this might mean Ina was sibling of Neal, who died in 1900 and seems to have born c.1827. I fielded earlier that he might be a brother of Edward Shevlane, who in turn might be father of Michael Shevlane who married Anne Barrett.

Realise this is a lot of information, but might help getting it put online. Post more later, got to leave it here for now. Most progress ironically seems to be on Anne Barrett's folk!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 18:14 BST (UK) »
Have you checked Tithe Applotment records - 1834

I searched Shev* in Mayo

There are only 3  showing

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=Shev*&firstname=&county=Mayo&parish=&townland=&search=Search

Bryan Shevlane, Briska is recorded as Sherlane

Opening the page you will see surnames for the Townlands - obviously the same surnames come up regularly