Author Topic: Look-up Request OPR Marriage  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Krisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Look-up Request OPR Marriage
« on: Friday 19 August 05 04:22 BST (UK) »
Does anyone here have access to the O.P.R Marriage Records for Inverness?

I am looking for the Marriage Record of Alexander ROBERTSON & Margaret MATHESON, they were married Oct. 21, 1834 in Inverness, Inverness.  I need their parentage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Krisy
Young, Traill, McKenzie, Carnegie, Robertson, Smart, McLean, Matheson, Duncan, Smith, Laing, Rennie

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up Request OPR Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
hi there,

it is very unlikely that their marriage cert would have any parents names on it i'm afraid. - this didnt become compulsory until 1855.

i have a marriage in Inverness in Nov 1837 and it is typical of entries around this period; it reads:

Fletcher: John Fletcher seaman and Isabella Fraser same place both in this parish by the Rev Robt Macpherson

another on the same page reads:

Mackenzie: Roderick Mackenzie farmer Knockbain Ross Shire and Mary Fraser Merkinch Inverness by the Rev Alexr Clark

i have looked at several others from the same area pre 1855 and none have parents names on them.... sorry to disappoint  :-\
the best way to find their parents would probably be to find their death certs (assuming it was after 1855) and the parents names should, if known, be listed there...

scotlandspeople do have 1 match (death records) for a Margaret Matheson other surnames Robertson aged 72 in 1888 in Inverness, Inverness. - i have not viewed the actual cert though so cannot be sure if it is definitely the correct person. if it is the correct match though, it would also help narrow down the date of death for her husband, i.e whether she was a widow when she died or not.

sorry i could not be of more help.

kind regards,
Lorna.

Offline MarieP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 December 05 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Krisy!
I have had a look at the death entry in 1888 for you and it shows:

Margaret Robertson, (72),widow of Alexander Robertson, Flesher Master (whatever that is).  She died at 8.10 am on 21 December 1888, whilst living at 6 Greig Street, Inverness.  Her parents were Donald Matheson, farmer, deceased and Isabella McDonald, deceased.  The informant was Margaret McKenzie, daughter, signed with her mark.

The Registration No. was 098/00 0399.

Hope this helps.     Marie in Sydney
Payne, Beaminster, Dorset
O'Brien, Moynoe, Clare, Ire
Kimber, Hampshire
Cracknell, Finchingfield, Essex
Moriarty, Cahirciveen, Kerry, Ire
Wedesweiler, Nassau, Germany
McInerney, Kilnoe, Clare
Long, Feenagh, Limerick, Ire
Fitzgerald, Ballingarry, Limerick, Ire
Candicks, Wiltshire
Taylor, Warminster, Wiltshire
Mattock, Wiltshire

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 December 05 21:30 GMT (UK) »
A Flesher is a butcher -  so perhaps a master butcher
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent