Author Topic: Sign on Old Pub from Photograph  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Sign on Old Pub from Photograph
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! I'm so glad it has been solved for you.  Another case of Rootschatters all adding their piece of the puzzle until we get the full picture  :D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 22:42 BST (UK) »
Underneath Joseph, it looks to me like it could say "TILE SHED".

There's a "Tile Shed Lane" in East Boldon, and I have some ancestors from the Sunderland area

Well spotted....you need to complete it on the photo board now.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 23:56 BST (UK) »
Just to add a bit more to the family story, Joseph Lisgo and his wife Hannah were at the Sportsman's Hotel, Market Place, Bishop Auckland, where Hannah died on New Year's Eve 1899.

Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 08:46 BST (UK) »
This is where it was - it's marked on the 1897 map, backing on to the Goods Station: https://maps.nls.uk/view/120937881#zoom=6&lat=4724&lon=14494&layers=BT

Present day Newgate Street, in the vicinity of the Kings Head. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
Brilliant :D

The lost pubs project would be interested

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/durham/bishopauckland.html
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 13:43 BST (UK) »
Excellent joint effort! Sad it is now replaced by a car park as so many seem to be ....  :-\

Offline gmadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 13:47 BST (UK) »
The maps are great, although it's difficult to see which building the label refers to. Surely not the huge building next to the Tile Sheds Inn label? As that looks like it's part of the station. Is it the building on the corner where the medical centre is now? It would be good to find another photo of it, I was thinking of sending this to The Northern Echo, as they seem to feature stories like this, and maybe someone else has some old photos featuring it.

Thanks for the link to the Lost Pubs Project, I'll definitely send this to them.

I've attached another couple of photos that I've never been able to identify. I think now, that these are of Joseph and Hannah too.

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 14:23 BST (UK) »
I think the Tile Sheds Inn is the building I've marked on this map extract. My reasoning is that the original picture shows that this is a double-width building, possibly formed by combining two semi-detached properties.

This is indicated by / would account for the lop-sidedness of the windows and door; i.e. there would originally have been another door and window in the space where the two larger signs are placed.

The building that I've marked on the extract is twice as wide as the ones to its right (from the perspective of the road) and the building on its left could be the structure visible to the extreme left of the photo.

This is also consistent with the viewpoint of the photo, i.e. it could be taken from the middle of the road.

My only point of doubt is that the map makes it look like a terraced rather than detached building and the roof line in the original picture makes it appear to be standalone. But we don't have an exact understanding of dates, so maybe the situation was different between the time of the picture being taken and the time of the map being drawn.

ADDED: also, the address is 2 South Road, so either the L-shaped building next door could be no. 1, or the left-hand side of the building was originally 1 South Road and the address would more correctly be 1-2 South Road. Speculation.

ADDED MORE: in the 1891 census, next door at 1 South Road is a sawyer, and next door but one [on the map] is a saw mill. There are also inhabitants at 3 South Road. So maybe the numbering happened after the two buildings were combined and the whole building is correctly just no. 2. Or maybe the two buildings theory is simply off the mark.

(Never sure when to keep adding or post separately... will stop now.)
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham