Author Topic: Clara Rafaela Morland B2 Oct 1830, Havana, Cuba D14 Aug 1874 in Rome, Italy  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clara Rafaela Morland was born on 2 October 1830 in La Habana, Cuba, her father, John Morland American Consulate based in Cuba and her mother, Ruth Cushing. She had four sisters. She died on 14 August 1874 in Roma, Roma, Italy, at the age of 43, and was buried there.

Laid to rest in the Cimitero Acattolico di Roma, Italy ... 

Further = General info - Clara's grandfather was a William Morland (John Morlands father) who was our American Morland pioneer from Stranraer, Scotland .... William was the son of John McMorland B abt 1702 who was a Calvary officer under Lord Stair and fought in the War of Succession 

I was very humbled and had the enormous pleasure to pay my respects to Clara on a visit to the cemetery in Rome.

Really guys I don't have any clues as to why Clara was in Rome and how she died .. I wonder if there are any Italian researchers out there that may offer some more clues as to Clara`s adventure in Rome?

Grateful if anyone can shed further light.. Ancestry is limited in this case..

I did get many images of the cemetery that Clara rests in and it is wonderfully kept ..

Thanks for any help team..

Regards]
Scott Morland
New Zealand

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Rafaela Morland B2 Oct 1830, Habana, Cuba D14 Aug 1874 in Rome, Italy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 10:07 BST (UK) »
There's a note on the burial record that records exhumation - do you know what that's about?

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2017/237/161160793_1503792560.jpg
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart, Thanks for the interest. Really it is highlighting that Clara`s remains were exhumed and transferred into a common Grave among many other peoples remains. Many names engraved on a sizeable Flat stone that lies flat over the common grave...  This practice of exhuming seems customary when the original grave is not financially supported by the family and the popular cemetery makes room for new burials with a financial support.. I was saddened that the original Grave stone was not photographed or certainly when I was in attendance they could not help.. They had thought the original memorial stone was kept but it could not be found .. Pity as I would have been interested in supporting the upkeep .. Too late I was.. The family are obviously long gone and Clara from all the evidence that has been found did not marry and I see no children .. I find it interesting that her family roots are from Stranraer in Scotland but she ends up born in Cuba and dies in Rome Italy.. See images that I took attached .. I have quite a few others ..

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 11:07 BST (UK) »
Is this the inscription?

http://www.acdan.it/protcem/work/pcCU.html

She and her sister Mary seem to have travelled together - in London together in 1861, and there are consecutive US passport applications in 1870.

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 11:07 BST (UK) »
We were guided to where Clara was originally laid to rest. It was interesting that it certainly looked like her original resting place space had not been taken by anyone else after being advised that her remains had been exhumed due to not being financially supported and the need for room in the cemetery ..

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 11:12 BST (UK) »
Is this the inscription?

http://www.acdan.it/protcem/work/pcCU.html

She and her sister Mary seem to have travelled together - in London together in 1861, and there are consecutive US passport applications in 1870.
Hi Shaun yes that is the original inscription captured however no images to see or as mentioned they thought the stone was still there but we could not find it .. The passport applications were supported by Dr William Wallace Morland who was there cousin ,, I have some images of Dr William Wallace Morland (Wallace was his Grt Grans maiden name from Stranraer) Its interesting as the American Morlands seemed to have a closeness with the family across different continents and with images picked up in New Zealand (Nz Morlands) passed through the family so they definitely were all talking back in the later 1800`s ..

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
My fascination is really what was she doing in Rome.. Possibly it was just as a tourist and how did she die ..

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 12:29 BST (UK) »
I see that William W Morland was administrator of her estate (Boston Globe, October/November 1874).

There must be a death registration. Family Search has filmed the Rome civil registration records for the period so presumably it is just a matter of time before they are digitised.

If you can track down the estate file in Massachusetts it is possible that there will be a copy of the death certificate there.

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 19:18 BST (UK) »
I see that William W Morland was administrator of her estate (Boston Globe, October/November 1874).

There must be a death registration. Family Search has filmed the Rome civil registration records for the period so presumably it is just a matter of time before they are digitised.

If you can track down the estate file in Massachusetts it is possible that there will be a copy of the death certificate there.
Thank u Shaun .. really useful infirmation .. it makes sense that William Wallace Morland wound up her estate .. I know he resided in Boston..  will go fishing in America  :)

Is there an archives guru or does anyone have any experience in Italy BDM applications? Any tips

Again thanks Shaun
Best regards
Scott Morland
NZ