Author Topic: Hannah and George Chapman  (Read 1526 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah and George Chapman
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Emelton, I hadn't spotted that from the records on-line, thanks.    I'd also just found that Elizabeth was born 24 March 1837 and was baptised - no date given - at Forest Green Upper Independent , Avening with mother's name recorded as Esther Reynolds daughter of Benjamin Reynolds of Wooton-Underidge.  Confusing family.

I need to go back to the start and check all over again.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 09:55 BST (UK) »
From Family Search:-

Marriage. John Chapman/Hester King. 29 Feb 1824. Kings Stanley

Check post#2

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 16:08 BST (UK) »
The ancestor I'm researching is Mary Ann Chapman who is likely to be the daughter of John and Hester nee Reynolds who were married at Kingswood as she was baptised at Kingswood.  I need to find her siblings you mentioned Emeltom, at least I know Elizabeth was due to the record giving Hester's father's name.

Thoroughly inconvenient of another John Chapman to have married a Hester and have children baptised in the same period.  :)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
According to the Baptisms CD there are the following baptisms in Kingswood, parents John and Hester Chapman, John's occupation Clothworker

John 22 April 1821
Mary Ann 10 August 1823
Henry 8 February 1829
Thomas 22 April 1832

There is also a baptism for Jesse 23 July 1826 father's occupation Labourer. This would fit nicely into the gap between Mary Ann and Henry.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emelton, I was just writing what you've listed and you beat me to my post.

I agree that Jesse fits nicely in and perhaps John was temporarily working as a labourer until he could get re-employed as a cloth worker, I'll record her as such.

There is the gap pf 5 years between Thomas and Elizabeth we found at the Upper Forest Green Independent church so I wonder if there was another child not yet traced.  I tried limiting the search to the Independent church but only Elizabeth came up.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
The Hannah Reynolds who marries John Chapman was a spinster

John's wife was Hester.

I can find no birth record on GRO Index for Ellen (1838+/-2), or John/George Chapman (1840+/-2) with mmn Reynolds, or variation, anywhere.

Apologies - my typo

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 20:55 BST (UK) »
No they are the children of John Chapman and Hester King. GRO refs give mmn King.

You have two families John Chapman/Hester King and John Chapman/ Hester Reynolds. Using the info I have given from the CD and the GRO site it should be possible to work out which children belonged to which family. If the Censuses show anything different then there is a definite problem.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more