Author Topic: Bromsgrove Artist C C Shaw  (Read 1617 times)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bromsgrove Artist C C Shaw
« on: Wednesday 16 October 19 09:32 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace the Artist who did a Charcoal sketch of a Lady in 1942 sketch signed bottom right C C Shaw.
Could have been the Male Artist or a Self Portrait of herself.
Searched GRO Death Index 1900 to 2000
found a Death of Clara C Shaw aged 64 Bromsgrove 1963 assumed therefore it may be Self Portrait in 1942
Is anyone aware of an Artist in Bromsgrove  active in the 1930's 1940's ?
Any help or pointers appreciated
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bromsgrove Artist C C Shaw
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
Clara C Shaw is on the 1939 register but the entry is of no help with your query

Why do you think he/she was from Worcs
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 16:03 BST (UK) »
I found a Death record index for a Clara C Shaw died aged 64 in September 1964 Bromsgrove Vol 9d page 52
Thought there  might be an obituary stating she was a well known local artist in 1940's

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 17:56 BST (UK) »
Here's the Sketch  that started it all :-

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 18:01 BST (UK) »
Nice drawing but apart from the death in Bromsgrove do you have any other evidence that links the artist to Worcestershire?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
The full story is that this sketch was posted by a Sue Halliwell on the Facebook Forum for Liverpool  & SWL Family History Society page asking if anyone could help.
It was purchased a few years ago by Sue in an Antique Shop in Connahs Quay, she was told it was a sketch of T.E. Shaw s Mother and he really being T. E. Lawrence of Arabia but her name was Sarah and surely C C Shaw who is either  Male or Female is the Artist not the Subject/Portrait but it could be a Self Portrait of a Female Artist  C C Shaw
I tried a Death Index Search for C C Shaw post 1942  Sex not defined in my search . I found 73 Shaws of which only 2 were C C Shaw and both were Female
First one Clara C Shaw aged 64 Registered Bromsgrove Sept 1964  Vol 9d page 52
Second one Catherine  C Shaw aged 64 Registered Lancaster  Dec 1963 Vol 10c page 501
I replied that it was not Lawrence's Mother but others disagreed,
so I thought I'd  try and find an Obituary on these two in the hope it mentioned they were well known Portrait Artists.

picture upload sites

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 20:08 BST (UK) »
Background  Information,  Sue may have been conned because the Seller spun a line knowing that TE Shaw was Lawrence of Arabia and this was his Mum. When surely C C Shaw is the Artist  not the Subject that's  not to say it can't  be Sarah Lawrence drawn by an Artist  C  C Shaw sex unknown.. Researching  my Ancestry  since my Retirement has taught  me never to discount anything till proved otherwise.
On the Facebook site Someone  posted a painting of Sarah Lawrence done 1910 next to the 1942 sketch and everyone gave their opinion saying Yes and No to the Likeness but losing  my Post Facts in the mist.

picture upload sites

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
What I fed back about Sarah was ignored by loads of posts giving personal opinions on the Likeness of the Two.
To give you info you may already know.
Sarah Junner living on Skye was appointed  Nanny/ Governess of 4 Daughters in County West Meath Household  of Sir Thomas Chapman it was not long before the Nanny became a Mummy and gave birth in Dublin to their first illegitimate  son Robert. She became Pregnant  again and Lady Chapman found out , unable to Divorce,  Sir Thomas Chapman left his Wife and 4 Daughters and Estate and eloped with Sarah to Porthmadog  where they lived as Mr & Mrs Lawrence her presumed  Fathers name ,she gave birth 1 mile away at Tremadoc to T E Lawrence and 3 other sons.
In 1919 when Sir Thomas died in Oxford  of the Spanish Flu , She and Robert went to China as Missionaries from 1919 to 1935 when T.E. died they arrived back after the Funeral probably very thin after living with the poor.for 16 years. They lived with Lady Kennett  widow of Scott of the Antarctic who had sketched Lawrence in 1922 and Sculptured  many Busts. She may have had an Artist Friend  C C Shaw whom she invited to her home to sketch Sarah can't discount that.
But Sarah would unlikely have filled out in the face in 7 years  between 1935 and 1942 when her diet of 16 years previous was already established.
And the Left Colour Painting of her in 1936 shows her thin and drawn as she was at her Death in the 1960's
Furthermore she hated the name Shaw which her Son chose at random to avoid rotas when he rejoined the RAF in 1922 and legally changed by Deed Poll in 1927 and died as T E Shaw in 1935 but his Mother refused to accept that and had on his Headstone  TE Lawrence  inscribed although his Birth Name not his real name of TE  Chapman  same as mine.

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 October 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
I've tried a couple of times to find out more about the artists of paintings in my family. In my limited experience, unless an artist was prolific and widely collected, there is rarely a trace of them in directories.
I had a look for CC Shaw but found nothing. If she was from Bromsgrove, it might be worth asking the Birmingham Art Gallery if they know of her.