Author Topic: Australia Look up please  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Bidr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Australia Look up please
« on: Wednesday 16 October 19 19:17 BST (UK) »
 Look up please

William BAGNELL born 5th April 1893 Islington, London immigrated to Australia.

Any info like immigration travel, family, death or probate would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you in advance!

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Australia Look up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
Trove.com.au is a great resource for newspapers back to colonisation

Some info - GRO records say Williams mothers maiden name was Jackson

There is an Innisfail reference to a William Bagnell but no corresponding death record in QLD historical searches with Jackson as the mothers name - though these stop at 1988

Vic BDM also has no Jackson connection of deaths

Is there any more information Barb ie parents names , any siblings etc
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 22:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat,

Here is the 'HOW TO' thread for Australia
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0

Trove.com.au is a great resource for newspapers back to colonisation

Some info - GRO records say Williams mothers maiden name was Jackson

There is an Innisfail reference to a William Bagnell but no corresponding death record in QLD historical searches with Jackson as the mothers name - though these stop at 1988

Vic BDM also has no Jackson connection of deaths

Is there any more information Barb ie parents names , any siblings etc

Here is the live link to Trove, which includes the free to search digitised newspapers back to 1803.  Trove is part of the National Library of Australia, and is funded via our federal government .  https://trove.nla.gov.au/ 

Australia is a federation of six former British Colonies, and the BDM records (and many other matters) continue to be part of the individual institutions established in the 1800s by each of those colonies, (those six former colonies each still exist, are now known as States, each has their own parliaments).   There is NO central BDM ...

Here is the live link to RChat's Australia Resources Board https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/
You will see that there are child boards, for each of the eight jurisdictions that are the federation.

The National Archives of Australia has lots of digitised passenger lists for arrivals in the 1900s, and you mention your chap was born in 1893, so if he came alone, by ship, he may well have come via Suez Canal or Cape of Good Hope, and his first port of arrival in Australia would likely be Fremantle.   If so, here is a live link to help
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/family-history/passenger-arrivals-lists-1897-to-1966/index.aspx

Please do not try 'trove.com.au' if it exists, it is not part of the National Library of Australia, which is a 'gov.au' website.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 23:07 BST (UK) »
There is a Mr W BAGNELL, whose last address in England was 5 Duke St, Tutbury, Burton-on-Trent. He was aged 20, a passenger on the Ormuz, departing 18 March 1922 from London, ticket number 226, travelling 3rd class.  He was a Labourer, contracted to land Fremantle (it is in Western Australia) and he was English.

The Ormuz arrived Fremantle, W.A 20 April 1922. Here is the passenger list lodged on arrival at Fremantle.  http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/30151380/1

You have your chap as born April 1893, so if the above is your chap, he was recorded as aged 20 when boarding. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 October 19 00:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

What were his parents names? Are the William Bagnell and Ellen Jackson who married Shoreditch 1876

Was he married in the UK?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Bidr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 October 19 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying!

Father   William Thomas BAGNELL
Mother   Ellen JACKSON
Sister     Elizabeth BAGNELL
Brother   James BAGNELL
Sister     Amelia BAGNELL
Sister     Rose BAGNELL
Sister     Ada BAGNELL
Sister     Florence BAGNELL
Sister     Ellen BAGNELL
Sister     May BAGNELL

The Story from the Family is that he died in Australia and Elizabeth Raybould went over to Australia to settle his affiars after his death, ot sure if this true or not. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 October 19 00:49 BST (UK) »
I think William BAGNELL born April 1893 was still in Twickenham, Middlesex in 1939.   I think he was recorded as an 'inside & outside blindmaker Fitter & plain and needle hand.    I think he was a married man.

JM

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 October 19 00:53 BST (UK) »
William BAGNELL born Islington and aged 22 years 2 months enlisted at London in May 1915.  His enlistment record shows his wife as Maud Rosina MEDHURST, married in 1914.  He had previously been in the navy and deserted in 1912. You will find William and Maud living in Twickenham in 1939.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 October 19 00:59 BST (UK) »
There is a death registered Sheppey, Kent,  for a chap named as William BAGNELL, aged 73.   Jan, Feb, Mar Quarter of 1967,  Vol 5F, pg 654.

JM