Author Topic: Wilson - Derrylee  (Read 893 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Wilson - Derrylee
« on: Thursday 17 October 19 14:09 BST (UK) »
Ever since I began the research into my husband's family some 20 years ago, I knew that his 2nd great-grandfather was Alexander Wilson, born about 1790, died 1864 in Derrylee.  His wife, Mary, died in 1890.  Their youngest son, Elijah, was the informant.  I have lots of information on their children, but it is Mary's maiden name, and Alexander's parents who have eluded me.  Alexander lived next door to Joseph Wilson whom I believe to be his brother given DNA matches -- could however be a cousin.  If anyone has any thoughts as to how I can determine Mary's maiden name and/or Alexander's parents, I'd be grateful for the information.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson - Derrylee
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 November 19 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I haven't researched this family but have twigs of it in my database. I took a look for any clues I might have and propose John Jackson and Elizabeth Thompson of Derrylee as hypothetical parents for Mary.

They were the right age and location and had a son named Elijah which I don't think was common among other Wilson families in the area? That is not nearly enough evidence but you might find more if you explore this hypothesis.

Elizabeth Thompson Jackson died 23 Apr 1858 age 81 and her husband predeceased her. Known children:
Elizabeth - unknown dates, married John McVeigh in 1826. Daughter Elizabeth McVeigh was living at Derrylee when she married Robert Verner.
Robert - c. 1813 - 1 May 1869, stayed at Derrylee, married Martha Palmer at Clogher.
Elijah - c. 1822 - 22 Jul 1910, married Martha's sister Letitia and moved to the home Letitia inherited from her first husband near Fivemiletown but later died at Derrylee.

Family had strong Methodist links but records should also be at Milltown Church. Again, I haven't actually researched this family but have these twigs.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 November 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those twigs!  At least it gives me something to look at since I've had really nothing for a long time.  The early records I've found were in Tartaraghan parish church until Milltown was opened.  In Ontario, Mary's son Thomas (hubby's great-grandfather) donated an acre of land for the local Methodist Church so I believe your assertion about strong Methodist links are correct.  The name Elijah is unique to the family and came down another generation so is certainly a link to be explored.

Do you have family in Derrylee as well or how do the twigs fit into your group?

Much appreciated!

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 03:08 GMT (UK) »
I believe the name Elijah was very rare in the immediate area so it's a lead worth pursuing. It's unfortunate that Jackson around there was probably even more common than Wilson though!

Derrylee is about out of my general research zone which is centred around Benburb but I have lots of twigs sticking out and sometimes I start to see patterns and connections and fill in more branches.

I first had this family in my database because their daughter Mary married into a Beattie/Beatty family I'm interested in. I have a special research interest in early Methodists.

What are the names and spouses and any immigration destinations of the family? I might spot more clues or at least be on the lookout.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Alexander and Mary Wilson had several children:

Catherine b. 1825 Derrylee, married William Weatherhead of Benburb, died 1862 in Benburb
(William is in Griffiths in 1864, and then goes missing; I've never found a death certificate or had him pop up in Ontario or elsewhere -- one of their daughters went to Australia but I haven't found him there either)

Sarah Ann b. 1826, married William Crawford, died before 1892 likely in Rochester, New York

John b. 1827, married Eliza Frazer, died 1912 in Ontario

Margaret (or Mary), b. about 1830, married Alexander Beatty in 1854 in Tartaraghan (no further info)

Robert b. 1835 d. 1853 in Derrylee (buried in Killyman)

Alexander b. 1838 d. 1881 in Derrylee (never married -- informant was nephew Robert Weatherhead)

Thomas b. 1840 d. 1928 in Ontario (hubby's great-grandfather) -- married in Ontario

Elijah b. 1843, d. 1915 in Derrylee married Sarah Larke (he was Royal Irish Constabulary)

I believe Alexander had a brother Joseph  who was married to Rachel Matchett.  I have all that info as well if you are interested.

Unrelated to this research, but another great-grandfather to my husband was a Wesleyan Methodist minister out of Cornwall who settled and ministered in Newfoundland.