Author Topic: Penistone Records  (Read 1597 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penistone Records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 October 19 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Claire and BumbleB

Thank you for asking around on my behalf Claire. I have sent some emails to various archives this afternoon.
I don't know how long it will be before I get any answers but I will let you know.

I tried searching those reference numbers on the WYAS catalogue search. I tried all the boxes but all returned a negative answer. Those numbers could be out of date.

Cheers
Venelow.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 October 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
I think I've found this transcript in the WYAS catalogue as item WDP28/1/6/1 - substitute the final digit for 2 or 3 to see two similar items.

I couldn't see anything more about them in the catalogue, but is there anything at the beginning or end of the set of images that explains who did them and when?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 October 19 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi arthurk

Thank you for looking for the transcript. I searched for WDP28/1/6/1 in the Advanced search section in the box marked Catalogue Finding Number. Turns out those numbers are for the filmed copies.

WDP28/1/6/1-3
Office record is held at   Wakefield, West Yorkshire Archive Service
Title   Copy registers
Description   Filmed copies of the parish registers
Date   1643-1812
Extent   3 films

These are the films that appear on Ancestry.

I have only been looking at the older records on line so I checked the end of the last year which is 1812. There is nothing about the transcripts. Some where between 1733 and 1812 the number at the bottom of the transcripts changes from D28/38 to D28/39. I didn't brother to trawl through to find out exactly when that was.

I was very surprised this morning to receive an answer to my e-mail sent sent yesterday evening to WYAS.
The last archives I sent an email to promised to reply by two weeks so this response was very quick - so quick the person answering didn't bother to read it properly and answer my questions!

I described the transcript and where I had found it just as I did in my post here. They sent a list of reference numbers of various transcripts they have of the Penistone registers. They all begin with a T. by the way, but no description about anything except the dates and the events covered. Three transcripts cover the full registers in sections from 1643 - 1746. One is a few years of 18th century marriages and the other a few years of 19th century baptisms.

No transcript covers the years 1747 to 1812. Which is strange as years 1733 - 1812 of the transcript on Ancestry have a WYAS copyright notice and reference number attached. I mentioned that number in my email to WYAS.

The respondent never answered the three questions (who, when and what) that I wrote in point form for better clarity but somehow concluded I wanted to look at the transcripts. Noting that as I was in Canada they could do a search for one or two names for 22 UKP and sent a handy request form attached and information on how to pay!

Sigh. I don't do emoticons but I could really do with one right now.

Venelow
Canada

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 November 19 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

I have now been informed by WYAS that the author of the transcription is unknown. The Archivist estimates by the handwriting that it was made in the 19th Century. It arrived in the Archives in 1976 with the original Registers.
It is assumed it was made to provide an alternative for researchers to use as many pages of the original records are in poor shape. There are pages where the edges have been degraded and only part of the Christian names or the date of baptism can be read.  On some pages the some of the forenames are missing entirely so I assume the transcriber was able to get the names from the Bishop's Transcripts.  It is possible that the whole transcript was made from the BTs. In which case if there are errors in the BTs it is possible they have been repeated.

I have found one error in a supposed Crossley marriage. If you are looking at Penistone check the originals as well as the transcript. Some of the early records are quite easy to read.  As far as I can tell there are no images of the Penistone BTs on Ancestry or FindMyPast.  FindMyPast has some indexes of Marriages and Baptisms made by the LDS. I believe the LDS used the BTs for these indexes. If anyone knows of BT images on-line please let me know.

I'm just getting to grips with my Crosley/Crossley line. There seems to be a lot of Crossley confusion. A large number of trees on Ancestry have given my ancestor parents who did not get married until three years after he was born.

Thanks to all who participated.

Venelow
Canada

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Venelow.  You live and learn!  And I should have learnt by now never to ASSUME anything!!!  I've been doing my famiy history since I was 14 years old (that's about 40 years!) so I really should know better. Anyway, thanks for posting the Archives' reply.  I've only just picked this message up as, despite me having notifications enabled, I am not being notified.

I too am researching the Crossleys! It's a branch of the family I have not traced before, because way back when the originals had to be consulted in the archives, the Penistone registers were so unreadable that I gave up, I just couldn't get anywhere.  I seem to think the BTs were too, I saw them at the LDS church when I lived in London.  (I now am back home, just over the hill from Penistone).  So when my cousin told me they were on Ancestry I joined (I was with FindMyPast only), and was amazed at how leigible they were - it must be the improved quality of scanning etc.  And the joy of sitting at home with a decent screen to read them on, at leisure, is a luxury!

I am going to send you a PM with my Crossley details.  I too have found a great many errors on FindMyPast Crossley trees, so I tend to ignore them.  My tree is on there but bare bones only, I am not sure if it's public, I'll have to check.

Claire
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

Thank you for your interest. I was not on this board yesterday so didn't pick up until this morning.
I have sent you a private email.

Venelow
Canada