Author Topic: Babies George Smith born 1907 & Arthur Smith born 1912 Gladsmuir East Lothian  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Babies George Smith born 1907 & Arthur Smith born 1912 Gladsmuir East Lothian
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 October 19 02:20 BST (UK) »
Great restores everyone. The boys scrubbed up really well.  :)

Baby George is looking a little “bulky” I think. There is some odd draping Behind him. Carol will be able to offer an informed opinion on this, but I wonder if an adult’s arm, cunningly disguised, might be supporting him.  :)

I thought that something similar might have been happening with Arthur too but I’m not so sure.

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Babies George Smith born 1907 & Arthur Smith born 1912 Gladsmuir East Lothian
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 October 19 02:58 BST (UK) »
Great restores everyone. The boys scrubbed up really well.  :)

Baby George is looking a little “bulky” I think. There is some odd draping Behind him. Carol will be able to offer an informed opinion on this, but I wonder if an adult’s arm, cunningly disguised, might be supporting him.  :)

I thought that something similar might have been happening with Arthur too but I’m not so sure.

I have to agree, they both look very chubby. Could it be they are wearing bulky warm woolen garments under their dresses. Gets  very cold in Scotland in winter.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 October 19 05:38 BST (UK) »
The clothes look fairly light weight I think.  :)

If you look at little George, his hand on the left of the photo looks to be resting on something. Follow the line of the gathered velvet looking fabric, which is behind him on the left - it meets up with whatever he is resting his hand on, with a bit of extra bulk across his tummy. I think someone might be standing behind him with their arm around him propping him up.

I believe this is quite common with parents hiding behind curtains etc. Sometimes it is fairly obvious, but your example is more subtle. I thought that the fur covered part of the chair behind Arthur looked odd too, but not sure where a person might be hiding, if there is one.  :)

Some examples here:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2274266/Extraordinary-photos-capture-19th-century-fad-draping-mum-sheet-family-portraits.html

I may be wrong, but that’s what I think I see.  :)

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 October 19 08:15 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting.
Norma.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 October 19 08:48 BST (UK) »
Carol is good with photos (and others are too), so I will be interested to know what she/they think/s. I might be imaging things.  ;D