Author Topic: Alexander Craig, Kilbirnie  (Read 3564 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Craig, Kilbirnie
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 October 19 20:23 BST (UK) »
My only information so far is that he was a steam crane man

Hi Mirren,
So Alexander Craig worked with cranes in 1901.
And there is an Alexander Craig born circa 1871/1872 in Ayrshire working with cranes in Yorkshire in 1911.
You haven't been able to find a death prior to 1911 for Alexander Dean Craig in Scotland.

I think this man on the English 1911 Census is a strong contender for your missing Alexander.

Looby :)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 October 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
An Alexander D Craig died 1944 Bedfordshire aged 75

Ignore above - the tree on Ancestry shows his birthdate as 26.9.1871 whereas the 1939 register has a different birthdate for the Alexander death above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 October 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
The 1911 transcription on FS has the wrong marital status.  He was single
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 October 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
The 1911 transcription on FS has the wrong marital status.  He was single

He is recorded as single - but could still potentially have been the man who was married to Marion Craig.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 October 19 22:13 BST (UK) »
Had a few credits spare for SP so checked the birth for Alexander Dean Craig and the Ancestry tree is correct it is 26th September 1871.

That means that the English record is not him or he gave a false date of birth on the 1939 Register.

Are we back to square one ??

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 October 19 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not sure where the Alexander D Craig is living on the 1939 Register as I don't  have access to that , but if this entry relates to the man who died in Bedfordshire in 1944 , then yes it looks like this man is not the man born in Ayrshire on 26th September 1871. Do we know if the man on the 1939 was born in Scotland?

The man Alexander Craig aged 39 in Yorkshire on 1911 Census may not be the same man as above.

Looking on FamilySearch I discovered there was a huge Scottish workforce in Middlesmoor, Yorkshire at the time of the 1911 Census (dozens of men) - they are all recorded as boarders and seem to be employed on the construction of a reservoir.
It's therefore very possible on completion of the job , the workforce either moved on to another contract elsewhere or returned to Scotland.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 October 19 23:45 BST (UK) »
I don't think the 1911 entry is our man and it's certainly not him on the 1939 so I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 20 October 19 23:55 BST (UK) »
The 1939 entry does appear to have been born in Dundee Scotland 1868 as Alexander Dumbr?? Craig

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 October 19 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Do you think so CaroleW?
I'm still inclined to think the man in Yorkshire in 1911 is a good contender for Alexander Dean Craig.
He has the right age, county of birth and occupation as the man on the 1901 Scottish Census with his wife and family.
But back to the drawing board.

According to both Familysearch and Scotland's People there were 4 Alexander Craig's born in Ayrshire in 1871/1872
Alexander Craig            3rd June 1871   Kilwinning   parents James Craig and Mary Clines
Alexander Craig            2nd March 1871  Kilmarnock   parent Margaret McGowan Craig
Alexander Craig            6 September 1872  Ayr          parent  Margaret Craig
Alexander Dean Craig   26th September 1871  Dalry   parents John Craig and Mary Wilson

There are 2 infant  deaths registered   
Alexander Craig      age 0    1871      Kilmarnock
Alexander Craig      age 0    1873      Ayr
I haven't got any SP credits to check parentage of these children but they probably relate to the two children born in Kilmarnock & Ayr above.
That leaves the Kilwinning born Alexander Craig and the man Mirren is trying to locate the death for- Alexander Dean Craig.

There is a death in Kilwinning in 1948 of an Alexander Craig age 77 years - this could relate to the baby born in 1871 in Kilwinning (again a check of parentage might confirm). 

Now I'm off to bed  ;D