Author Topic: "Miner's lamp was stopped"  (Read 1218 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Miner's lamp was stopped"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 October 19 23:14 BST (UK) »
when a miner started work he replaced his lamp with his "lamp check" (now quite collectable)- this was a small round brass token with the colliery name and the miner's number on -and of course a hole so it coud be hung on the hook . When a miner came up from underground his lamp was placed back on the hook- replacing the lamp check -this way there was a record of who was underground.
The miner's lamps belonged to the company not individuals and when starting work at a mine a lamp was allocated to a person. If the lamp was stopped (usually because of some misdemeanor usually resulting in the "sack" the lamp would be taken and allocated to someone else (so the lampcheck would be taken as well)
This information is from an old miner
the manager of the colliery had a special lamp and sometimes on retirement the lamp was presented to them

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 October 19 23:16 BST (UK) »
Exactly - that's bringing back memories now, Suz - the token.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 October 19 23:19 BST (UK) »
when a miner started work he replaced his lamp with his "lamp check" (now quite collectable)- this was a small round brass token with the colliery name and the miner's number on -and of course a hole so it coud be hung on the hook . When a miner came up from underground his lamp was placed back on the hook- replacing the lamp check -this way there was a record of who was underground.
The miner's lamps belonged to the company not individuals and when starting work at a mine a lamp was allocated to a person. If the lamp was stopped (usually because of some misdemeanor usually resulting in the "sack" the lamp would be taken and allocated to someone else (so the lampcheck would be taken as well)
This information is from an old miner
the manager of the colliery had a special lamp and sometimes on retirement the lamp was presented to them

Suz

Wow, fantastic, thanks!
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 October 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
     I would imagine that chris_49's explanation is correct.  When I used to go down the pit

you were paid extra if you carried a lamp,  which by then was supplied by the N.C.B.  Most

miners

didn't because they were heavy and always getting in the way especially when crawling

through small openings.  You also needed to know how to read the flame which could warn

you of Methane gas.  If the light went out you had to find a deputy to relight it as you were

not allowed to do it yourself.   In those days a deputy would go first onto the workings and

test for gas especially in the roof cavities where the gas was most likely to build up. The

workers were not allowed  to enter a district unless the deputy gave the all clear. I have

a certificate of my grandfathers from the Mine owner giving  him the job of shot firer i.e

placing and using explosives and one for deputy with the responsibility of testing for gas.
        Before safety lamps a man would go into

the workings before the men. He would be clothed in wet leather and carry a long pole

with a lighted candle on the end :o  hoping that the gas wouldn't be in large quantities

and small amounts would burn off or explode with minimum damage. I wish I could go

back and ask my grandfather if that is what he used to do or if he used a safety lamp.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 October 19 19:10 BST (UK) »
Gas became less of a problem once it became compulsory for a pit to have more than one shaft. That allows proper ventilation - air enters at the "downcast" shaft and leaves at the "upcast" shaft. In many collieries the upcast airflow was generated by having a brazier at the bottom. Later, powered fans were used.

Air was directed around the passages by blocking some of them with "bratticing". Some of these partitions would have doors to get the coal tubs through, and people (often children) posted to open and close them as needed. Positioning the brattices to remove gas buildups required serious skill.

However today's gas pockets are not necessarily where yesterday's were, so regular inspection is needed. Gas might build up in areas not being worked, and so not being actively ventilated.

Lamps would normally be controlled by the colliery, being refilled and lit above ground. Relighting could only be done in certain safe places by someone with the key to unlock it

The children operating the brattice doors would not be issued with lamps. Having his lamp stopped might not have prevented this man from working underground, and there would in any case be labouring tasks above ground.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 October 19 19:27 BST (UK) »
Having his lamp stopped might not have prevented this man from working underground, and there would in any case be labouring tasks above ground.

Presumably not as well paid though?
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)