Author Topic: finding death certificate  (Read 4070 times)

Offline whiffey1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: finding death certificate
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 24 October 19 09:35 BST (UK) »
  Good morning to everyone,  Robert Jenkins Barr, and Ruby Cowper Barr  (this was her name on the marriage certificate but no known persons birth or death as Ruby) only Robina Marwick Cowper Barr (nee Amer)  birth and death certificate,
 on my fathers birth certificate they lived at 653 New City Road Glasgow,
 Robert Jenkins Barr occupation stated on marriage certificate he was a chauffeur,
on his birth certificate he came from Shott in 1892, within mining community.  Robina was a tearoom waitress. I think the key to the Barrs seem to be the middle names of Robina or Ruby being Marwick, on I noticed lots of Robina Barrs but only one Robina Marwick Cowper Barr, we are awaiting her death certificate any moment as Scotlands People have posted this out.
Robert Jenkins Barr- father was James Barr and mother Janet Barr on his birth certificate dated 10th october 1892 in parish of Shott.  thanking you from Phillip

Offline whiffey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 25 October 19 13:55 BST (UK) »
Morning, Death certificate just arrived for Robina Marwick Barr, showing address at death of 2, Buddon St, as mentioned on previous posts, (signed by grandson James Gilmour) so this ties in with both MonicaL and Jonw65, posts as to possibility of Robina having further children. We now need to find the link between Henrietta and James Gilmour to Robina Barr, how do we get in to the national archives, we looked at the link but it wouldn't let us in.  On another note after checking no show at Barnardos for my father we contacted Quarriers, who did extensive search and he wasn't there either so I think Monical is right we need to check poor relief church.  Well done everyone in your help, super detective work. Many thanks from  Phil

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 25 October 19 17:50 BST (UK) »
Marriage 1950 Tradeston  644/16   1
Henrietta Lough Barr   James Gilmour
Henrietta Lough Barr   James Hoy

Birth 1931 Springburn
Henrietta Lough Barr

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 25 October 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
Phil, like with Robina's death, Henrietta's registrations would need to be ordered via Scotland's People.

SP have lots of useful guidance on their site. The basic rules to remember regarding the availability of BMDs online is that everything less that the years below needs to be ordered. The rest can be viewed online.

Births 100 years
Marriages 75 years
Deaths 50 years

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 25 October 19 18:21 BST (UK) »
Regarding finding out further about your Dad's early years, pity the Children's Homes you have approached don't have further details.

I posted above a link to the Mitchell Library that you can follow up to see whether an application for relief and assistance was made for either Robina or James. If however the arrangement to send him to board outside of Glasgow was made through the Church or other charitable bodies, unlikely there will be any records of this.

This is but one link that gives you a flavour of it all www.heraldscotland.com/news/12045065.orphan-of-the-lonely-island/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whiffey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 14:58 GMT (UK) »
hopefully we may have information on my father as we have now found he was boarded out  and are awaiting reply from glasgow archives also have asked glasgow family and social services who apparently have records up to 1940 on my fathers progress so fingers crossed they may let us have a copy.we are still at a dead end in tracing my fathers family at the moment we found a sister henrietta lough gilmour nee barr married abt 1950 they had a son who we need to trace as he signed robina marwick death certificate in 1986 as  james gilmour henrietta died 1991 signed by husband also james gilmour but cannot find any trace of death certificate could you please tell me what sites are available to trace possible living relatives as we are trying  to trace  the opposite way to ancestry as we think is the only way we  can find out what really happened to my fathers father who has dissappeared from records {robert jenkins barr born 1892 shott in glasgow.  many thanks phillip james barr

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked to see if any of these people are in trees on Ancestry, or anywhere else?