Author Topic: Youtube for Family History  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube for Family History
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 October 19 07:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Friends,

Do you make videos from old family photos  to tell their stories next generations? As you know new generation doesn't like to read but watch. So videos are the best ways to keep those stories.

Here i would like to share with you my Youtube Channel. You can find videos from old photos and stories for each of family members.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8bhFa6QBksaUFk003UnDeQ

The story of Vafiadis Family:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHcc5dMG0-Y&t=2s

The story of Sanzoni Family:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwLd1TUzEZM

The story of Akasi and Cakiroglu Families
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBf_r_5GBvM

Congratulations on your videos, as you say many prefer to watch than to read which is one reason why many used to make 'home movies' on 8mm film, some people (like me) later had those films transferred to video tape. Your post has reminded me to get mine transferred to digital.
Not only that but it has also reminded me that it is now possible to add still photos, graphics such as trees or sections of trees and even sound tracks and preserved tape recordings of people long dead.

I have left this side of my family history record unattended to long and thank you for reminding me to correct that situation before all my old tapes, film and recordings are dumped when my children downsize their legacy. ;)

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline 2mi3museum

• RootsChat Extra
  • E-museum of a Greek, Armenian and Italian family
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 October 19 07:59 BST (UK) »
I have just finished a course on digital photography and computers at my local University of the Third Age.  As part of it we were encouraged to choose a topic to make a movie using Windows Live Movie Maker.  As we needed more that 20 photos I was struggling until I thought of my family.  Admittedly most are more recent, but I managed to make a movie of Seven Generations of my Family.

Can I ask what program you used for your presentation?

Hi,

I used Imovie which is the official app of Itunes. It's really very easy to use. Only doesn't allow special fonts and has its own templates... I prefer to use another app on computer but they cost too much and need experience..
Vafiadis, Sanzoni, Daravanoglu, Koskeri, Akasi, Koulurgioti

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 October 19 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Windows Live Movie Maker was free but has been discontinued by Microsoft.  I believe it has been replaced by another free app, but I am not sure.  I am very new to all this. 
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 October 19 08:51 BST (UK) »
There is a lot of rubbish on YouTube but there are some absolute gems. Some of the tutorials on family history research and DNA are invaluable. There are are some excellent tutorials on just about anything that you could want to know. Some of the plumbing and DIY videos have saved me a fortune.

Martin

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 October 19 09:26 BST (UK) »
There are are some excellent tutorials on just about anything that you could want to know. Some of the plumbing and DIY videos have saved me a fortune.

Martin

I agree - so helpful to be able to see, step by step, how to carry out an otherwise tricky DIY task.  Or even the cleaning out of my Gaggia coffee maker - I always look at the video again to make sure I've not forgotten anything, and the man who posted it makes it look really simple.  ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

guest189040

« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 October 19 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Windows Live Movie Maker was free but has been discontinued by Microsoft.  I believe it has been replaced by another free app, but I am not sure.  I am very new to all this.

I have been using Pro Show Gold for years, it is a paid for programme but very powerful and imho well worth it.

I will upload one of my family history slideshow movies and post a link so you can see what the software can produce.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 October 19 12:39 BST (UK) »
I use VSDC. It is free and wonderful. Each of the YouTube films linked in my signature takes me 5 minutes to create. I then upload them over night.

Martin

Offline 2mi3museum

• RootsChat Extra
  • E-museum of a Greek, Armenian and Italian family
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 October 19 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Friends,

We receive perfet ideas by your comments :)

So, VSDC and Pro Show Gold. Noted. I will check them as soon as possible :)
Vafiadis, Sanzoni, Daravanoglu, Koskeri, Akasi, Koulurgioti

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 24 October 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
One thing I will add to my recommendation of VSDC is that you shouldn't be put off by its many features.  I just create a project, add 50 to 300 photos, set them to display for 3.5 seconds each, add a random transition between each, and add music.  The music can be one or several 'out of copyright'  tracks.  The music should be slightly longer than the slideshow.  Then trim the end to be a fraction longer than the slideshow, and finally fade the music out over the last few seconds.  Save the project, export it to your chosen format and upload it (over night, it takes a while to upload). 

Apart from the export bit (which runs in the background while you do something else), the whole process takes less than five minutes per film.  My family history films are set as private as they contain living people.

Martin