Author Topic: Maternal Family Tree: Ikin, Oakes  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Maternal Family Tree: Ikin, Oakes
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 October 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Garstonite and Chempat,
Regarding the GRO missing data, no I did not inform them as I was not aware that I could and should; but will return and do so. Only looking at my mother's lineage the Oakes family should appear once; though my great-aunt Jane Ikin married Alfred Oakes. I assume they were related, possibly cousins, but that connection I still need to find. As a child, I knew the families were related. Seeing the Oakes, post spurred me into looking at my family tree.

I believe Jane Ikin (nee Oakes) was the daughter of John and Jane Oakes (nee Oakley of Buglawton), but need to fully check that before offering on Rootschat. My time is being taken up with a missing child who I may never find.

With children being registered in Northwich before and beyond 1911, I could not find Hulbert Ikin and family on the 1911 Census, even searching outside of Cheshire.
I found births for Hulbert and Elizabeth Ikin naming Hulbert as the father.
There is a burial in St. Chad’s graveyard of Elizabeth Ikin . 9 Church Street . 13 Feb 1915 . 8 years. It is the same church my family used and they were living not that far away in Church Street.

Feeling Elizabeth must feature somewhere on the 1911 Census I then found:
1911 Census: Over, Cheshire
John Ikin . Head . M . 59 . Winsford, Cheshire
Sarah Ikin . Wife . F . 59 . Nr Wales Abergate, Denbighshire
Elizabeth Ikin . Grandchild . F . 5 . Winsford, Cheshire
RG14 . Piece/Folio: 41 . Schedule: 20 . Page: 1
Affiliate Record Identifier: GBC/1911/RG14/21698/0041/3

As for Hulbert and other members of his family, Hulbert the son would be 2 years old, they do not seem to be in England or Wales at the time of the Census.

Stanley’s death was recorded in West Cheshire and I have found a Hulbert’s death also registered in West Cheshire; born 1880 and died 1940. That would suggest Hulbert was Stanley’s father, so an unwanted birth certificate is arriving. I also found a baptism for Hulbert in Davenham 1908 which is about 5 miles away. It is now starting to make sense.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 October 19 11:40 BST (UK) »
'Regarding the GRO missing data, no I did not inform them as I was not aware that I could and should; but will return and do so'

You do not have to report it, just it makes it better for people using it in the future that you have helped correct an omission - gives you a warm glow.
It is a very easy click link to fill in.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 October 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
Informed the GRO regarding the missing data, with information.

Of the children born to an Ikin/Oakes combination, I am still missing one child born before the 1911 Census. Having searched, I now accept that child will probably not be found. Of all the names found on the GRO, I have discounted most, but one is still a possible: Birth: James Ikin . Northwich Jan-Mar 1913 . Mother's Maiden Name: Oakes . Volume: 8A . Page: 490 . Line: 34
There is a death that fits. Death: James Ikin . Crewe Oct-Dec 1938 . Age: 26 . Birth Year (Estimated): 1912 . Volume: 8A . Page: 411. Line: 120.

At present, I cannot find another James Ikin birth for 1912/3. I already have definite children registered in 1911 and 1914, so it is a possibility as there is a year either side August 1911 | Jan-Mar 1913 | Apr-Jun 1914. Could he be part of my family, or the other one? The only way I will know for sure is to buy the birth certificate.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 October 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I have gone back a generation. From the marriage certificate, the only Oakes family I could find, where the father John and daughter Jane, born around 1872; with probably another daughter called Ellen Oakes:

1871 Census . Weaver, Over, Cheshire
John Oakes . Head . M . 49 . Wettenhall, Cheshire
Jane Oakes . Wife . F . 39 . Congleton, Cheshire
John Oakes . Son . M . 11 . Over, Cheshire
James Oakes . Son .  M . 9 . Over, Cheshire
Henry Oakes . Son . M . 6 . Over, Cheshire
Ellen Oakes . Daughter . F . 4 . Over, Cheshire
Jane Oakes . Daughter . F . 0 . Over, Cheshire
GS Film: 000842113 . Digital Folder: 004412565 . Image: 00261 . Affiliate Image: GBC/1871/3698/0258

I found Ellen Oakes in 1881 and 1891, but after that I cannot find anything; marriage, location or death, though I am only looking on FreeBMD and FamilySearch. Can anyone help?
1881 Census . Church Minshull, Cheshire
RG11 . Piece/Folio: 3550/51 . Page: 11
1891 Census . Weaver . Middlewich . Cheshire
RG12 . Piece/Folio: 2840/ 148 . Page: 5

I still need to find information relating to all of the siblings, which I am searching for at present. On the 1861 Census there are three more children recorded as Oates, but there is no doubt they are the right family:
Joseph Oates . Son . M . 9 . Over, Cheshire
Ann Oates . Daughter . F . 7 . Over, Cheshire
Richard Oates . Son . M . 4 . Over, Cheshire

In an earlier post, the marriage between John Ikin and Jane Oakes, their witnesses were John Penkethman and Ellen Oakes, which now makes sense. I found in the 1911 Census, that Richard was residing with John and Anney Penkethman, being referred to as Brother-in-Law. Then I found: 01 Feb 1877 John Penkethman married Anne Oakes. John Penkethman, Anne Oakes and Ellen Wood were servants at the same place on the 1771 Census. Ellen Wood later married Joseph Oakes.

John Oakes married Jane Oakely (also written Oakeley); 04 Oct 1849 . Buglawton, Cheshire . Ref: Congleton 19 95.

Searching the GRO for births between Oakes and Oakely/Oakeley, I found the three named in the 1861 Census; Joseph, Ann and Richard, which said they were all were born in Over.
Joseph Oakes mmn Oakley
GRO Reference: 1852 Congleton Volume 8a Page 265.
Ann Oakes mmn Oakley
GRO Reference: 1854 Northwich Volume 8a Page 267
Richard Oakes mmn Oakeley
GRO Reference: 1857 Northwich Volume 8a  Page 230
The reference for Joseph is Congleton Volume 8a, which I associate with Northwich, like Ann and Richard.

There is also:
William David Oakes . mmn Oakley 
born: Jan-Feb 1850 . GRO Reference: Congleton Volume 19 Page 75
baptism: 17 Feb 1850 . Astbury, Cheshire (Buglawton)
Father's Name: John Oakes . Mother's Name: Jane Oakes
Died aged 0 . Oct-Dec 1850 . Northwich Volume: 19 . Page: 153
William David must have been born in Buglawton, baptised in Astbury and then they moved to live in Over where he died.

The reference for Northwich, I feel should be 8a and Congleton 19, therefore have mistakes been made in registering the births of William David and Joseph? Or would the registrar acknowledge the child was not born in the district that it died?

I know Jane Oakley was born in Buglawton and Christened in Astbury, where the marriage took place; and believe she was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Oakley. It seems there are families in Over and Buglawton/Congleton, that inter-married and replicated names.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 October 19 16:40 GMT (UK) »
From 1837 until 1851, volume numbers were given as Roman Numerals - Cheshire was XIX (or 19).
From 1852 until 1946, they were a number and a letter - Cheshire was 8a.

Potential marriages?
March qtr 1891, Manchester
Dec qtr 1895, Altrincham
June qtr 1896, Nantwich
Sept qtr 1896, Manchester
Sept qtr 1897, Ashton under Lyne
June qtr 1899, Northwich
Sept qtr 1901, Stockport
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 October 19 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 October 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KGerrard, for the explanation. I am looking at a computer screen too much and failing to see the obvious. Of those you offered, I checked the names from Nantwich and Northwich through FamilySearch to find them on a census. The only name that fitted was Frederick Maddock and by 1911 he was a watch repairer and they had five children from 3 to 11 years.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 October 19 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Having stepped back a generation, I have found information relating to births and deaths, marriages and baptisms where appropriate for all children William David, Joseph, Ann, John, James, Henry, Ellen and Jane. And plenty of Census information. But I am struggling with one:
Richard Oakes . mmn Oakeley 
born: Jul-Sep 1857 . GRO Reference: Northwich  Volume 8a  Page 230

See below: He was alive in 1911 and at the home of his sister and her husband for the Census; which also says he was married. In staying with his sister, it could indicate he was married and living out of county.

There is a marriage listed in Runcorn 1887. On FreeBMD the only marriage in Cheshire between 1871 and 1911, is Apr-Jun 1887 Runcorn 8a 332, of either
Harding Elizabeth or Hornby Hannah, but from the transcription his age does not fit, nor his father’s name:
Marriage: Richard Oakes (Single) and Elizabeth Harding (Widowed)
20 Jun 1887 . St Thomas, Stockton-Heath, Cheshire
Age (Formatted): 41y
Father's Name: Thomas Oakes . Spouse's Father's Name: James Mellor

For his death there is a possible (Find a Grave Index) 01 Feb 1932 Overleigh Cemetery as on FamilySearch the birth date seems to fit. Affiliate Record Identifier: 132259423 – I checked Probate and nothing for 1932 or 33.

On the 1861 referred to as Oates:
1861 Census: Cherry Hill . Weaver, Cheshire
John Oates . Head . M . 38 . Over, Cheshire . Labourer
Jane Oates . Wife . F . 30 . Over, Cheshire
Joseph Oates . Son . M . 9 . Over, Cheshire
Ann Oates . Daughter . F . 7 . Over, Cheshire
Richard Oates . Son . M . 4 . Over, Cheshire . Scholar
John Oates . Son . M . 1 . Over, Cheshire
RG09 . Piece/Folio: 2605 / 98 . Page Number: 25

In the 1871 Census: Church Minshull, Cheshire
Richard Oaks . Servant . M . 13 . Weaver Over, Cheshire
Affiliate Image Identifier: GBC/1871/3715/0126

1911 Census: Darnhall, Cheshire . Over
John Penkethman . Head . M . 64 . Darnhall, Cheshire . Forrester
Anney Penkethman . Wife . F . 56 . North Middlewich, Cheshire
Richard Oakes . Brother-in-law . M . 54 . Darnhall, Cheshire
RG14 . Piece/Folio: 67 . Schedule Type: 33
Affiliate Record Identifier: GBC/1911/RG14/21688/0067/1

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 October 19 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Ignore the last post, I found Richard Oakes in Manchester as a Joiner, the trade mentioned in 1911.
He married Elizabeth who was born in Manchester.