Author Topic: Maternal Family Tree: Ikin, Oakes  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maternal Family Tree: Ikin, Oakes
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 October 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
You need to search for surname: Ikin, mmn:Oakes and a starting year with a +/- 2 years through the whole time range in which children were being born.  Hopefully you will find a list - this is what Rosie99 did in finding those children for you.  All births should be registered.

If you find a birth for achild about which you know nothing further then switch to the death search and look in the few years after the birth, in the same registration district and you will possibly find the death.

Also, it is just possible that a death is registered in a quarter previous to the birth as 42 days were allowed for a birth registration but often a death was registered almost immediately and if this occurred towards the end of a quarter then the birth might be in the following quarter.  Not very common but it did happen.

When you receive Stanley's birth certificate look for a time of birth - this was recorded for multiple births.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 October 19 20:35 BST (UK) »
I searched on the GRO database and have found too many Ikin children with Oakes as their mother. In the 1911 Census, they claim 16 years married, 10 children with 6 still living. Those 6 children lived until an old age. I was looking for the missing children and found 1 from the church register, but now I have many more, too many to fit within the 16 years and a few new ones born after 1911.

I need to put all of the names in chronological order with births and deaths. Either the claim of 10 children was not accurate, or there must be two Ikin families; and Ikin marrying an Oakes. That I need to search for. Both Ikin and Oakes were families in the area and there could be more than one combination.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 October 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD shows at least 2 possible marriages ;D

September qtr 1894
Northwich Registration District     vol 8a, page 423
John Ikin
Jane Oakes

March qtr 1905
Northwich Registration District     vol 8a, page 410
Hulbert Ikin
Mary Ann Oakes
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 October 19 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pheno for the explanation and what to look for, but KGarrad may have found something. All the children I took from the GRO were registered in Northwich, as Ikin, with Oakes as their mother’s maiden name. They cannot all be my family. On FreeBMD I checked for another marriage and nothing fitted with male Ikin and female Oakes. Then I looked on FamilySearch from 1875 to 1910 throughout Cheshire and the only possible was:

Marriage: Hulbert Ikin
Northwich Jan-Mar 1905
Volume: 8A Page: 410 Affiliate Line Number: 22
Possible Spouse: Edwin Kennerley
Possible Spouse: Agnes Maud Kitchen
Possible Spouse: Mary Ann Oakes

Thanks KGarrad, I had just found Hulbert when I saw the notification of your post. They could account for Stanley and a few more of those after 1905.

The birth certificate will answer the Stanley question, but without buying all certificates I will not be sure.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 October 19 22:05 BST (UK) »
An educated guess, but Hulbert (b1909) looks as if he may be from the 2nd marriage?! ;D

Both marriages found easily on FreeBMD.
Make sure you onlyput in surnames, and ensure they are in the surname boxes ;)
(I've messed that up countless times! :-[)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 October 19 22:50 BST (UK) »
I thought that with Hulbert.
There are others that match years where I already have children.

Those found before 1905, I believe they are my family.
John Ikin   
born: Jul-Sep 1896 . Ref: Northwich Volume 8a Page 277
died: Jul-Sep 1896 . 0 . Ref: Northwich Volume 8a Page 163
- Ikin . unbaptised
died: 5 Minutes . Stock Hill
buried: 25 Jan 1897 . Ref: St. Chad’s Church Register
William Ikin
born: Jan-Mar 1898 . Ref: Northwich  Volume 08a  Page 278
died: Jan-Mar 1898 . Ref: Northwich  Volume 08a  Page 188
I believe these three of the four children that died and mentioned in the 1911 Census.

I felt Sarah Ikin with mmn Oakes was the missing child, but cannot find her death before 1911, which would fit with the census record. She was registered in Northwich Jan-Mar 1905 - Volume 8a Page 268. Hulbert Ikin and Mary Ann Oakes married Jan-Mar 1905, which makes it unlikely to be their child, but not impossible.

Then I found two children, whose address within the church record confirms they are also my family. The last child I knew of, was John Joseph (Jack) in 1910, but they must have continued to have children.
Samuel Ikin
born: Jul-Sep 1911 . Ref: Northwich Volume: 8a Page: 525
died: Jul-Sep 1911 . 0 . Ref: Northwich Volume: 8a Page: 387
burial: 22 Sep 1911 . 1 Month . 8 Welsh Lane, Over . St. Chad’s Church Record
Fred Ikin
born: Apr-Jun 1914 . Ref: Northwich Volume: 8a Page: 511
died: Apr-Jun 1915 . 1 . 8 Stock Hill, Over . Ref: Northwich Volume: 8a Page 362

There is still the possibility between 1911 and 1914 for another child, even after 1915; but finding them will be difficult and/or costly. The Hulbert family were also breeding at a pace.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 October 19 00:09 BST (UK) »
From my last post, I kept looking for Sarah Ikin
Northwich Jan-Mar 1905
Volume: 8a Page: 268

I found a death for Sarah Ikin . Age: 2
Northwich Jan-Mar 1907
Volume: 8a Page: 207
Having found the death registration, which was not offered when searching the GRO. Even when I later searched with volume and page, it was not found.

But 1905 clashes with the birth of Harry Ikin and living for 2 years, she would also be in the baptism records. The missing child cannot be Sarah, or clash with an existing birth year.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 October 19 08:36 BST (UK) »
watching with immense interest - I am an Oakes - and I go back to late 1600's with my Oakes Familytree in OVER - St Chads to be precise - John Oakes b 1675 Over , had a son =
Ralph Oakes b 1702 - in Over - married Mary Holland b 1704 - in St Chads ,Over - they had a son Ralph Oakes b 1727 - he married Mary Trelfa and they had 13 children ALL born in Over .

so for future reference could you make a note of this post - and if you want to try and go back from Jane Oakes - let me know - Janes father John Oakes - do you know where he was born and when ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 October 19 08:42 BST (UK) »
'I found a death for Sarah Ikin . Age: 2
Northwich Jan-Mar 1907
Volume: 8a Page: 207
Having found the death registration, which was not offered when searching the GRO. Even when I later searched with volume and page, it was not found.'

GRO seems to have missed out Northwich deaths for Northwich 8a 207 (but have not checked all 8 of them)

Did you report the missing death you found?