Author Topic: Army ancestors  (Read 5228 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army ancestors
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 06:10 BST (UK) »
sorry i forgot,the medal rolls are at the n/a,BUT,check if one of the gang has a copy on the great war forum,many of us on there have an interest in other wars,it may save you some legwork if they have,good luck,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 06:15 BST (UK) »
arranroots,have a word with graham stewart on the great war forum,he has a data base of about 30,000 northumberland fusiliers,and hes a very nice helpful bloke,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 08:32 BST (UK) »
Ok Mack

Thank you very much - this guy has been a mystery for nearly 100 years, so a little longer won't make much difference!

Will give it a go this week (when i haven't got visitors)

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Well, I finally plucked up courage to venture onto the GWF!!

I also PMed Graham, so will keep you informed of developments (here's hoping!)

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there is a P. J. Ryan that appears repeatedly in the London Gazette. He was in the Royal inniskillen Fusiliers and i have found he was awarded the distinguished conduct medal in 1918 and was wounded at some point . He retired due to his wounds in 1919. Could this be him.

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev

Thanks for your interest.  I hesitate to say "no", but my belief is that his army career ended before his marriage in 1912.  Put it this way - he had a lot of children (six) before dying in 1922!

My problem is, I don't know how to prove or disprove any suggestions made!  What I need is a record that has a next of kin that I recognise, or a place or date of birth or something.  How would you go about tracing the chap you found, do you think?

;)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Well i looked and he was Patrick J Ryan, so hes a maybe, the regiment was formed in Ireland and they went to Suffolk to train, he was injured in 1918 and went home, was very much a hero.

If his career ended in 1912 then you would need to find as Mack said either the Indian medal rolls or even the Queens and kings south africa medal rolls for the boer war.

Hopefully someone can come up with something on the GWF.

Kev. ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Well it would be fun to claim a hero!  :D

His son served in WWII and never talked about it or claimed his medals.

Fingers crossed for the GWF then, I have only heard from Liverpool Annie so far!  (Hi again Annie!!)

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 22:54 GMT (UK) »

Every time I see it going down the page - I'll bring it to the top!!  :P :P :P

OK??
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I