Author Topic: Gordon Gordon-Smith  (Read 3828 times)

Offline RaonaidGS

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Gordon-Smith
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Rachel again. There were a lot of family names repeated in successive generations and when I think about it, if the Margot you first mention is of a similar age to my Great Grandfather, then she is either his sister or his cousin. Any Margot you find in the family, who was much younger than him, will be his daughter, my Great Aunt, who was one of the younger children, along with my Grandfather, Robert. Gordon worked in Paris for several years, and his first wife and kids lived there with him. The first wife, died of a broken heart at the end of WW1 as Gordon had disappeared from the family and was presumed dead. After she died, my Great Uncle Randolph took Robert and Margot under his wing and they moved to Scotland when my Grandfather and his sister Margot were of primary school age.  It would surprise me very much if Margot had been a nurse, as she was quite delicate. She later moved to Largs. After Great Uncle Randolph died in 1961, my Grandfather and his wife and kids, including my Dad, moved to the house in Uplawmoor and lived there for a while before it was later sold.

I should also tell you, that no-one in the family, from Great Uncle Randolph to my Grandad or Great Aunt, had any idea until he died in the late 1940s, that Gordon had remained alive since WW1. He died in a bomb explosion at a hotel on one of the mediteranean islands near the former Yugoslavia, where he had gone to sort out the plight of some displaced people.  My Grandfather only found out, when two CIA officials came to his house in Belfast, to tell him the news.

Hi Rachel

I stumbled across this thread as I’ve been researching this branch of my family tree. We are 4th cousins, Hugh Smith (grandfather of the said Gordon Gordon-Smith) and Margaret Muir were my 3rd great grandparents - and presumably yours too!

Thanks for sharing all this fascinating information. It sounds like someone needs to write a book about Gordon Gordon-Smith, he has certainly lived a fascinating life.

I’m sure I have a memory of a BBC Scotland reporter called Gordon-Smith (can’t remember his first name) - if I’m right, is/was he a relation of yours/ours?

Wishing you all the best and hoping you see this after so long.

Alison

Hi Alison
Sorry not to have been near this in a long time. I think you may mean W. Gordon-Smith and he is not atleast a direct relative of mine.
Thank you again for your message.
Rachel.