Author Topic: John Ormond and Katherine Henderson of Forfar, married 1767  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Ormond and Katherine Henderson of Forfar, married 1767
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I am getting confused now as I have just looked for marriages of James Henderson and Katharine Donald as I now know James Henderson of Auchterforfar's wife's name, and there is one in Forfar in 1757!

This would mean Katharine Henderson would have been at most 10 in 1767 when she married John Ormond. What is going on?

Is the James Ormond of Auchterforfar in the above record possibly the son of the James Ormond I am looking for?

It's worth noting that the date of a baptism is just that, a date of a baptism. It doesn't always relate to a newly born infant. I have seen older children baptised before. Unless the record states a date of birth, the age of the person involved could be anything.

Or it's a different Katherine Henderson?
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 23:11 GMT (UK) »
This would mean Katharine Henderson would have been at most 10 in 1767 when she married John Ormond. What is going on?
The obvious answer is that there are two different James Hendersons in the picture.

For example, it may be that the James Henderson who married Katharine Donald in 1757 was the brother of the Katharine Henderson who married John Ormond.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
The obvious answer is that there are two different James Hendersons in the picture.

For example, it may be that the James Henderson who married Katharine Donald in 1757 was the brother of the Katharine Henderson who married John Ormond.

yes, I think so given the same address (Auchterforfar).
North West, North Wales and Isle of Man:

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Apap / De Apapis, Camilleri, Grech, Muscat, Micallef, Custo, De Nasi

Angus, Scotland:

Ormond, Salmond, Cook, MacDonald

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 31 October 19 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Given John Ormond, son of Thomas Ormond and Jean Crabb (born 1746 in Aberlemno) moved to Forfar and lived in Craignathro, the nearest farm to Auchterforfar, I am leaning towards this being the correct John Ormond as he would have grown up as the neighbour to the Henderson family and Katharine whom he then married.

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland:

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 31 October 19 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Craignathro, the nearest farm to Auchterforfar
???

There are several farms between Craignathro and Auchterforfar, plus the hamlet/village of Kingsmuir. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=56.6340&lon=-2.8618&layers=6&b=1
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 31 October 19 11:41 GMT (UK) »
You're right, my apologies. I confused Craignathro with Pitreuchie where a David Ormond (possibly related, might possibly be the father of John Ormond born 1749 in Forfar) was living. Though neither are far from Auchterforfar.

All the place names and similarly named people are confusing me.

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland:

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 31 October 19 11:52 GMT (UK) »
All the place names and similarly named people are confusing me.
:) Just wait until you try to sort out M(a)cDonalds living in Kirktown of somewhere! Folk were not very inventive when it came to naming their children.

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 31 October 19 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I have MacDonalds from Angus in my tree but they were originally from County Tyrone in Ulster

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland:

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 31 October 19 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I have begun to fill out a table of details I can find about the 5 John Ormonds born 1730-1750:

John Ormond born 1743 in Rescobie was son of John Ormond of Woodend and Isabel Miln(e). John Ormond senior died in 1757 in Woodend.

John Ormond born 1740 in Rescobie was son of John Ormond of Baggerton / Baggertown

John Ormond born 1746 in Aberlemno was son of Thomas Ormond and Jean Crab who moved to Craignathro in Forfar in the 1750s

John Ormond born 1749 in Forfar was son of David Ormond weaver (of Newmuir), mother currently unknown

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland: