Author Topic: Immigration from Europe  (Read 611 times)

Offline Caz.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Immigration from Europe
« on: Monday 28 October 19 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Where would I start please to find when my grandfather came over from Belgium, sometime between 1907 and 1911. These dates I know his whereabouts, as according to a Dutch census he moved from Holland to Antwerp in 1907, but I do not have an address he moved to. The next record I have found is his marriage certificate, where he was living in Salisbury, UK in 1911. I am presuming that he would have needed a passport, visa, needed to register in the UK on his arrival?

I tried to join Familysearch but it would not let me create a free account password.
Davidge (Somerset) / Stevens (Greenwich) / House (Middlesex) / Crookes, Shingler, Fishwick (Lancashire-Cheshire) / Stagg, Lush (Somerset, Dorset).

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration from Europe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 October 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Passports generally were not used much before WW1; neither were visas.
It's possible you may find his Naturalisation Certificate?
See: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/naturalisation-british-citizenship/

There are also very few passenger lists for people moving from Europe to UK.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 October 19 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Caz.t

Try again, it should be straightforward.

' I am presuming that he would have needed a passport, visa, needed to register in the UK on his arrival? '
He might indeed, but if no records exist online then you will not find them. 

The passport application would be on the Belgian/Dutch side, so you could ask on that board for more expert help.  The British used to travel without passports.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 October 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

Sometimes the National Archives have records you would not expect to find, it is always worth trying.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Familysearch was under some form of maintenance earlier, I would try to register again.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caz.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 October 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all. Some places to start.

I do have his naturalisation certificate, that did not happen until 1947 and he had already been using his English name since at least 1929, when his first child was born from his second relationship (though he did not register his second marriage until 1950).

I was wondering if official travel documents etc were actually required before WW1.

I would love to know when he came to the UK and why, but I guess there are some things we may never be able to find out!
Davidge (Somerset) / Stevens (Greenwich) / House (Middlesex) / Crookes, Shingler, Fishwick (Lancashire-Cheshire) / Stagg, Lush (Somerset, Dorset).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 October 19 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Have just replied on the other topic.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=820751.msg6832124#msg6832124

It's not a good idea to have more than one topic on a subject as it causes needless confusion and duplication of searching, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Caz.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 October 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. It was suggested in a reply to try the Europe Board (which I did not know existed), hence my enquiry on the other Board as well, after this one.

I have only joined this group today, so finding my way around, sorry!