Author Topic: John Smith born c1880 Scotland  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Smith born c1880 Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 October 19 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Annie Hector Smith born 1910, St Machar, Aberdeen. 168/2 995

Annie Hector Smith born 1910, Aberdeen married John E. Powell 15 Sept 1934, Manhattan, father's name, John & mother Mary Ann Hector.

Mary Ann Hector, Born Dyce, 1884

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 October 19 19:31 GMT (UK) »
John Smith 28  Carpenter of Goval, New Machar, Aberdeenshire, son of James Smith, farmer (dec'd) and Jane nee Shand,  married Annie Hector 24, of Overton, Dyce, dau. of William Hector, farmer and Barbara nee Stewart (deceased)  on 19/6/1908 Newhills.

John is easily found on census living at Goval (or Old Goval), New Machar, Aberdeenshire in 1881/1891/1901 - he was born in New Machar in 1880 - birth index lists 2 that year so can't say which one is him without viewing details of certificate/s.

His parents James Smith,bc.1839 New Machar, married Jane Shand bc.1849 Keithhall, Aberdeenshire on 31/1/1867 Fintray, Aberdeenshire.   If you purchase some credits for SP you can view a copy of their marriage certificate and confirm details of their respective parents.

The son John (son of John Smith and Annie Hector) was clearly born before their marriage and this looks to be his birth entry: John Smith Hector b.1903 Dyce.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 October 19 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette. Have gone back further with credits to Charles Smith & Mgt Singer, married 1837, New Machar.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 October 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »
John is easily found on census living at Goval (or Old Goval), New Machar, Aberdeenshire in 1881/1891/1901 - he was born in New Machar in 1880 - birth index lists 2 that year so can't say which one is him without viewing details of certificate/s.
He is aged 1 in 1881, 11 in 1891 and 21 in 1901.

The census is always taken around the end of March. So if he was 1 in 1881, 11 in 1891 and 21 in 1901 he would have been born between early April 1879 and late March 1880.

Fortunately, however, there are no births of John Smiths in New Machar in 1879. In 1880 there were at least 50 births altogether registered in New Machar. So the chances are that the one registered early in the year (ref No 5) is your one than the other one, (No 22), who would have been born almost half-way through the year.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 November 19 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly enough, the Find-a-Grave records for the Smiths in Newmachar churchyard is quite comprehensive and covers the whole family back to Charles Smith born Blackburn, Aberdeenshire, 1767.

Offline PEhren Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Smith born c1880 Scotland Son John Hector Smith
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 November 19 12:35 GMT (UK) »
John Smith (b 1880) and Anne Hector are my great-grandparents. Their first son, John H Smith was briefly married to my paternal Grandmother Bernice E Edelblute. John H Smith and Bernice Edelblute we’re married in the Bronx on Oct 6, 1930, and my father, John David Smith (aka David Ehren) was born in Altoona, PA on March 23, 1931. My father did not ever meet his own father and did not know his father’s name. Though my own father is deceased, I am on the lookout for information regarding my grandfather John Hector Smith, born May 1, 1903 in Overton, Dyce, Scotland.

I have found information regarding the Smith family in New York until 1940, but cannot find any additional information. I was told my grandfather died early but have not been able to verify this.

I would be grateful for any information regarding my grandfather, John Hector Smith, or his siblings, Edward and Anne. My goal is to actually see a photograph of my grandfather.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
PES

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 November 19 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, PEhren Smith. I hope the many knowledgable boffins can fill in the blanks for you.

Offline PEhren Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 November 19 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for all of your help! I'm hot on the trail if my long lost.

And btw, what’s a boffin 😀?

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 11:46 GMT (UK) »
'boffin' - a person with knowledge or a skill considered to be complex or arcane.