Author Topic: Hayes/ Hay family from Killinchy/ Killyleagh  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hayes/ Hay family from Killinchy/ Killyleagh
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 July 22 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I don't know that I am on Gedmatch, sorry, I'm not really sure what it is. Am I better to send you a direct message to chat further? I am a descended from David McClure and Jane Craig, from Hans Lamont McClure, brother of George McClure who married Susannah Hogg.
Thanks

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 July 22 00:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry Kirst..I read the message the wrong way around! The Gedmatch comment was by someone else who you replied to!...if you have taken a test then it is a great idea to load it onto Gedmatch..its free too! Ancestry doesn't offer a chromosome browser but does have quite good search facilities for DNA matching
https://classic.gedmatch.com/login1.php
The other place thats free is FTDNA..good for finding matches too. The site is a bit basic but its always good to get our DNA in lots of places to find that elusive match that gives us all the answers ( haha).
Cheers

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 July 22 01:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry Kirst..I read the message the wrong way around! The Gedmatch comment was by someone else who you replied to!...if you have taken a test then it is a great idea to load it onto Gedmatch..its free too! Ancestry doesn't offer a chromosome browser but does have quite good search facilities for DNA matching
https://classic.gedmatch.com/login1.php
The other place thats free is FTDNA..good for finding matches too. The site is a bit basic but its always good to get our DNA in lots of places to find that elusive match that gives us all the answers ( haha).
Cheers

Thanks, that makes sense now. I haven't actually taken a DNA test as yet although I am wondering about doing so. Would you recommend one place over another or are they similar. I'd be hoping to achieve a reasonable cost too.
Would it seem that we share the same ancestors?
Cheers

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 July 22 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirst

I am from the HOGG side of the family, so we wont share any DNA, unless more cousins married cousins than I am aware of!
With regards which DNA test to get...I have figured out that its probably best to get the Ancestry test as this test can be loaded up to other DNA sites for free ( mostly ) whereas Ancestry will not accept other companies tests.
I took 2 before I knew what I was doing..Ancestry and My Heritage. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Always make up a Tree for any of the sites as this helps in all sorts of ways.
Ancestry has ' Thrulines' which pulls up DNA matches that look like they belong to a particular ancestor...however, this is only as good as the Trees online..I have hundreds of DNA matches but they haven't got a Tree on ancestry so they don't get into Thrulines...or they have made a big mistake in their Tree etc...but for those with good research, its rather exciting to see my ancestors  siblings descendents all set out in a Tree as done by Thrulines. Also Ancestry has, generally, the better Trees to research. It seems to like to frustrate researchers though ( eg, won't count how many matches they have found, whereas MH does! Won't give us a chromosome browser, a basic genealogy tool etc)
My Heritage groups your matches per genomic position on the chromosome. This is really a great tool, however, lots of work always needs to be done on a person if you want to get right into the nitty gritty...I am too old to bother LOL...Trees on MH are usually a disappointment. I usually grab whatever clue is available and head back to Ancestry to research the person.
Gedmatch has some great tests to run for fun ( in my case) and will match your DNA matches with you...MH & Ancestry often fail. I have found many DNA matches on Gedmatch who are also on either Ancestry or MH, yet do not come up as a match on those sites. I trust Gedmatch more :)
If you need further help, feel free to PM me.
Cheers

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 July 22 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, really appreciate the insight. I am hoping for a special DNA price to come up :) Thank you again.

Offline nellieagtha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 August 23 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, don't have any new information to add, but my great, great, great grandfather was William Gabbie.