Author Topic: Hayes/ Hay family from Killinchy/ Killyleagh  (Read 4155 times)

Offline lcar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hayes/ Hay family from Killinchy/ Killyleagh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 November 19 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I think if you haven’t searched for all spelling variants you may miss out connections examples for Hay – Hayes- Hays [if I repeat one or more of Aghadoweys important referencesits because she always comes up with them and in turn they inspire me to try to help. You both sound experienced researchers so hoping I am replying in the spirit of help even if all known to you
Griffiths Valuation 1863 http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ using Killinchy only [there are more under Killyleagh inc a Robert in Derryboy]
Hay   Sophia      Killinchy   Killinchy   
Hay   Hugh      Carrigullian   Killinchy more detail needed   
could be the freeholder Hugh below of Ballymacreelly land
Hay   Hugh      Ballymacreelly   Killinchy   map ref 63 he is a freeholder just has land 2 roods 30 perches
Hay   Thomas   Ballymacreelly   Killinchy   D map ref 7,8,9.  as house and office  £2 fifteen shillingspa. the land has about 41 acres in small bits
Hay   Thomas   Balloo Killinchy    Balloo    map ref 7 house £3 office and land 19 acres
Hay   Thomas   Balloo Killinchy    Balloo    map ref 9d house £0 fifteen shillingspa and garden quarter acre1 H could this be a relative the father,son, cousin of No 7
Hayes none
Hays   Robert L.   Ballymacreelly   Killinchy   needs looking up    
Hays   Robert L.   Ballymacreelly   Killinchy  needs looking up
the maps are great!

1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Killinchy/Ballymacreely/1230249/  which is No6 Hay
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Killinchy/Ballymacreely/1230273/ which is No 36 Hay
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Killinchy/Balloo/1230141/
which is No 2 Hay
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Killinchy/Balloo/1230168/
which is No 37 Hayes
1911 census requires same treatment

1901 Genes Reunited have matches the last line entry is the treeholder for that entry here are some examples [To look up you need to be a member] perhaps you recognize someone
Robert   Hayes   1829   Saintfield, County D...    Jean   
Robert   Hayes   1800   Co. down, Northern I...    Jean   
Robert   Hayes   1795   Co Down ...          Michael   
John   Hayes   1937   DONAGHADEE County Do...    Christina   
John   Hayes   1856   Tilefish, Co Down, I...       Joseph   
John   HAYES   1856   Tilefish, Co. Down, ...       Jill   
John   Hayes   1856   Co Down,Ireland ...      Phyllis   
John   Hayes   1832   Saintfield, County D...    Jean   
John   Hayes   1832   Crevyloughan, County...    Jean   
also searching for Hay Killinchy
Elizabeth   Hayes   1837   Killinchy, DOW, IRL....Barry   
Elizabeth   HAYES   1837   Killinchy, County Do...Robyn   
Sarah   Hays   1829   Killinchy, Northern ...    Flora   
James Gourley Hayes   1827   Ballymacreely, Killi...    David   
Agnes   Hays   1827   Killinchy, Northern ...    Flora   
Robert   Hays   1823   killinchy county dow...    Flora   
James   Hays   1818   Ballymacreely killin...    Flora   
Eliza   Hayes   1814   Killinchy Co Down NI...    Molton   
Ellen   Hayes   1805   Ireland ...          Ruth

wikitree has
Elizabeth (Hayes) McClure (abt. 1836 - 1910)
Privacy Level: Open (White)
Elizabeth McClure formerly Hayes
Born about 1836 in Killinchy, County Down, Irelandmap
Daughter of [father unknown] and [mother unknown]
[sibling(s) unknown]
Wife of James McClure — married [date unknown] [location unknown]
DESCENDANTS descendants
Mother of John Hayes McClure
Died 1910 in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealandmap
Profile manager: Leanne Carnan private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 29 times.

Ros Davies the Australian who has the unique Co Down website  http://www.rosdavies.com which has many surname entries searchable by Killinchy
Churches entries which give existing church records which are not all locatable at PRONI. in those entries she volunteers to look up tombstone entries. Apart from 1st Presbyterian church in Balloo check the same source for  other Presbyterian church records eg Non Subscribing Church If you can afford it give her a donation.  I use her townland maps for each civil parish a lot.  On the McClure name she has more than 10 with 2 lots going to New Zealand
I should have checked the tithes index via TheIrishgenealogy hub website
 Good luck in sharing information to find the missing links

Wow!

Thank you so much for all of that.  It has given me new angles to look at and investigate.

Thank you also for link to Ros Davies.  I will certainly get in touch with her to see if she can help me.

The wikitree profile you mentioned for Elizabeth Hayes McClure is the one I set up in the hope of trying to find out more information about her son John Hayes McClure who is my g,g grandfather.

Thank you so much again for all of those pointers.  They have certainly given me a new direction with this search

Leanne
Carnan, Greig, Porteous, Brown, Taylor, McKay, Mochrie, McLure/ McClure, Ogilvie

Offline kinnigit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 November 19 22:10 GMT (UK) »
The Thomas HAY in kinnigit's tree is assumed to be a son of Robert HAY and Mary SPRATT based on multiple DNA matches to descendants of their son Archibald HAY and daughter Elizabeth BOWMAN nee HAY.

My actual connection to these HAY HAYES people is through my cousin's maternal McCLURE line, I am not a blood relation.

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have Susannah HOGG born to William HOGG & Mary Ann McBRATNEY ( married 1831 Killinchy) who emigrated to NZ 1863 aged 20y with her brother Robert, 19y. Other siblings were already there and they all feature in many newspaper articles on Paperspast. Their brother, Thomas HOGG, arrived 08 Oct 1861 on the same ship, The Royal Stuart, as James McCLURE, wife and child and also P HAYES, wife & chd.
Two HOGG cousins, sons of Hamilton HOGG ( shoemaker) from Killinchy, settled in Christchurch..Thomas HOGG, a shoemaker and James HOGG a miller.

Susannah married George McCLURE on 25 Nov 1870 (wit: Robert HOGG, farmer of Leeston and Sarah McCLURE of Leeston, spinster) and settled in Killinchy, Selwyn, Canterbury, NZ, where they had a number of children. Susannah died 1908. I have her marriage and death cert but not George's death cert but he died 04 Sep 1918 in his 79th year in a terrible car accident after a tree fell on his car. According to findagrave he was born 14 Aug 1838. From a cemetery record, he was the son of David & Jane, nee CRAIG McCLURE who died in the same area. Ros DAVIES site has more clues. George was a friend of Wm GABBIE who emigrated May 1860. George arrived Dec 1860.
I think William HOGG is one of the youngest sons of James HOGG b 1754 died 1816 Ballymacreely, and Susannah HAY b abt 1762, died 1808 Ballymacreely ( both buried Killinchy with 3 young children..see the amazing Ros Davies site).
My brother has a dna match to someone descended from a HAY who has posted here before :)
So I just had a look for Trees and see Kinnigit has this family!! Small world:) Hi Kinnigit!
The names, Susannah and Eleanor/Ellen appear in many branches of the HOGG families. Possibly  HAY names
I am descended from James HOGG, a weaver whose wife is still a mystery, but I have dna matches to his brother Jacob, a baker, probably in Ballynahinch and they are (must be?) children of James HOGG & Susannah HAY. My Great G/M was Susannah HOGG.
I hope this has helped, late to the party though I may be !

Offline lcar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hey Kiwi007

It is lovely to hear from someone who has a connection to this family.

It was myself who originally submitted this post. My 2 x great grandfather was John Hayes McClure, son of James McClure and Elizabeth Hayes. James and Elizabeth immigrated to NZ without John. He was left behind and raised, my guess, by Elizabeth’s mum & dad. I think John was James & Elizabeth’s illegitimate child.

I have found poor law records for John in Glasgow. He goes between naming his parents as James McClure & Elizabeth Hayes and Thomas Hayes and Mary McMillan. I know Thomas and Mary were Elizabeth’s parents.

John’s son Robert Hay McClure ended up living with Thomas Hayes and Mary McMillain in Killinchy, Ireland. He appears on the 1901 census living with Thomas but he is calling himself Robert Hay. He signed Thomas Hayes’ death registration in 1901.

I have done the ancestry dna test. My dna matches up with loads of McClure descendants in NZ. Barely any of them have my John in their tree. I guess he was never spoken about to his other siblings. Which is such a shame. It has led to many of them ignoring my messages or not believing that my John is related to them.

There is confusion over the parents of James McClure who was married to Elizabeth Hayes. It looks like there were two James McClures born in Killinchy, Ireland at the same time. One was born to David McClure and Jane Craig, the other was born to David McClure and Elizabeth Stott. I think I am from the David McClure/ Elizabeth Stott line.

It would be interesting to know if my dna matches with your brother. I have a tree on ancestry but I have made it private. I was coming across the strange phenomenon of name collectors. People would pinch photos, certificates etc from my tree and add them to people in their tree who have nothing to do with me. They would then add all the siblings for that person off my tree to their’s when it was wrong info. 

Thank you so much for commenting on this post

Leanne
Carnan, Greig, Porteous, Brown, Taylor, McKay, Mochrie, McLure/ McClure, Ogilvie

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leanne
You have done an amazing job working out who John belongs to. There are so many Johns and McCLURES!
I agree about having to make a Tree private. I had a couple of hideous experiences, one woman even has my father on her Tree despite having no idea how we have a very distant dna link..told me her Tree was scrappy, but has 25,000 people on it and locked!
My brother isn't on ancestry but is on Gedmatch,  Ancestry doesn't have a chromosome browser so anyone interested in this has to load their kits onto Gedmatch. There is a petition on changedotorg begging ancestry to relent but it needs a few more signatures.
Ancestry wiped all dna matches with less than 7cM, so when we get back to the early 1800's etc, we are only lucky to get a match on ancestry. We can search as low as 3cM on Gedmatch. Its still difficult, but finding out the exact chromosome the dna match is on is vital, especially with so few records to help us.
I just clicked on all 25 Tree owners for James McCLURE and I don't have a dna match with anyone. I have previously done it for George & Susannah nee HOGG's Trees. An eye glazing exercise, but worth it if a match looms up!
Let me know if you decide to upload your dna kit to Gedmatch..make sure you keep the Gedmatch  kit number in a safe place. You will be surprised how many times you use Gedmatch once on there ( and understand how it works LOL)
Cheers

Offline lcar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hey

I have zero clue how gedmatch works but my dad’s (John’s great grandson) and my dna are on gedmatch.

I have sent you a PM with our gedmatch numbers

L

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 July 22 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hey

I have zero clue how gedmatch works but my dad’s (John’s great grandson) and my dna are on gedmatch.

I have sent you a PM with our gedmatch numbers

L

Hello Leanne,
I'm wondering if there is a link in your family to the George & Elizabeth (nee Hogg) McClure, mentioned above as I have them in my tree and would love to add your line if there is.
Thanks, Kirsten

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 July 22 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have Susannah HOGG born to William HOGG & Mary Ann McBRATNEY ( married 1831 Killinchy) who emigrated to NZ 1863 aged 20y with her brother Robert, 19y. Other siblings were already there and they all feature in many newspaper articles on Paperspast. Their brother, Thomas HOGG, arrived 08 Oct 1861 on the same ship, The Royal Stuart, as James McCLURE, wife and child and also P HAYES, wife & chd.
Two HOGG cousins, sons of Hamilton HOGG ( shoemaker) from Killinchy, settled in Christchurch..Thomas HOGG, a shoemaker and James HOGG a miller.

Susannah married George McCLURE on 25 Nov 1870 (wit: Robert HOGG, farmer of Leeston and Sarah McCLURE of Leeston, spinster) and settled in Killinchy, Selwyn, Canterbury, NZ, where they had a number of children. Susannah died 1908. I have her marriage and death cert but not George's death cert but he died 04 Sep 1918 in his 79th year in a terrible car accident after a tree fell on his car. According to findagrave he was born 14 Aug 1838. From a cemetery record, he was the son of David & Jane, nee CRAIG McCLURE who died in the same area. Ros DAVIES site has more clues. George was a friend of Wm GABBIE who emigrated May 1860. George arrived Dec 1860.
I think William HOGG is one of the youngest sons of James HOGG b 1754 died 1816 Ballymacreely, and Susannah HAY b abt 1762, died 1808 Ballymacreely ( both buried Killinchy with 3 young children..see the amazing Ros Davies site).
My brother has a dna match to someone descended from a HAY who has posted here before :)
So I just had a look for Trees and see Kinnigit has this family!! Small world:) Hi Kinnigit!
The names, Susannah and Eleanor/Ellen appear in many branches of the HOGG families. Possibly  HAY names
I am descended from James HOGG, a weaver whose wife is still a mystery, but I have dna matches to his brother Jacob, a baker, probably in Ballynahinch and they are (must be?) children of James HOGG & Susannah HAY. My Great G/M was Susannah HOGG.
I hope this has helped, late to the party though I may be !

Hi Kiwi007,
I'm working on my family tree and I have a connection to the McClure family in NZ. I was searching and came across these posts. Thought I'd say Hi. I'm hoping to see how this all fits together.
Kind regards, Kirst

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 July 22 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirst
Nice to hear from you!
I see you are on Gedmatch...its a chromosome browser and lets you know which chromosome you match on with whoever you are checking.
E.G: Choose ' one to many' to the right of your log in page, then click on the "A" to the left of one of your matches Gedmatch has found for you and up comes a page with noth your kit numbers..scroll to the bottom and hit 'compare',,it will show all your chromosomes and which bits you match with your DNA match. At the bottom, it will tell you how many generations back your common ancestor is.
If your click on the kit number to the left of "A" of that DNA match, you will see all THEIR DNA matches...this is handy to check, perhaps more easily who they have that you might recognise
Start with close cousins to get the hang of it...you will see certain people come up on the same chromosome in the same spot ( genomic position)...you need to write all the info down as you go.
I have found Gedmatch finds you matches but sometimes, even if that person is on say My Heritage or Ancestry, they don't come up as a match on those other sites. This makes the job so frustrating.
You can also run the "People who match both or 1 of 2 kits" test ( on log in page)...this gives you people who are connected to you..you might be related to one person who you share an ancestor with, and the other is related to the other ancestor (W or H), for example.. Gedmatch has videos to watch for a better explanation!!
Are you descended from George and Susannah nee HOGG? If so, I would love to see if we are DNA match. I haven't found any yet to this line
Cheers