Author Topic: ''Marks'' family Cilrhedyn & Llanelli  (Read 2402 times)

Offline rjmarcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ''Marks'' family Cilrhedyn & Llanelli
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, likewise. It's a pity we can't return to 1850 - I'm sure the various Marks households in Cilrhedyn knew how they were related and who their ancestors were. I presume you grandmother is also in the Thomas & Charlotte line - are you able to identify which of their children provided the immediate line to her? In my case, William ended up farming in Pinged, Pembrey and, from that point on my forebears on my father's side are in the Pembrey / Burry Port / Kidwelly / Llanelli area.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't think Thomas was a son of William & Sarah.  When he died in 1833, William left a detailed will which mentions wife Sarah, eldest son John, son William, daughters Margaret, Elizabeth, Mary & Hannah. Possible burial for Martha 6 July 1810. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ojz/

Baptisms before 1800 for Cilrhedyn are not online as they do not seem to have survived. NLW have the BTs and copies of some extracts.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Cilrhedyn

There is a John Marks with wife Mary - marriage to Mary Lewis in Cilrhedyn 4 Aug 1795 - and they had a son John baptised 29 April 1797 in Rock Independent in Trelech a'r Betws. This John must have died before March 1805 as Mary applied for administration of his goods.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ok0/

A possibility for parents and Thomas may have been baptised in another independent or non-conformist church in the area. There's a choice!

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rjmarcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Osprey.  William and Sarah is the wrong line. It's William and Sophia - Thomas, my grandfather, was one of their children. They used the same names so often, but William and Sarah sound like the Pengribyn line and I'm unable to link that line to mine although I don't doubt that there is a link back there somewhere in the pre-1800's.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 20:13 GMT (UK) »
yes, they are the Pengribyn family.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline rjmarcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 20:49 GMT (UK) »
The Pengribyn family is the best documented - they owned land and made wills. You are welcome to let me know if you have an interest in any particular person or line - I don't have much information but you never know what bits of knowledge can help.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm not related, just trying to help with info. William & Sarah had come up earlier and I didn't want the OP going down that line as I could see they weren't the parents of Thomas born 1800ish.

I'm not sure you will find out for sure who his parents were. I suspect that at least some of the baptisms in the family were in non-conformist churches.
There are parish baptisms in Penboyr for Eliza & Mary 21 April 1833 daughters of Thomas & Charlotte,residence Manllegwaun and Sarah 27 July 1845 residence Llwynyscawen.

Offline scottphillips94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 22:53 GMT (UK) »
“”Thanks Osprey.  William and Sarah is the wrong line. It's William and Sophia - Thomas, my grandfather, was one of their children. They used the same names so often, but William and Sarah sound like the Pengribyn line and I'm unable to link that line to mine although I don't doubt that there is a link back there somewhere in the pre-1800's.“”

Just checking, if you check the photos I have attached below are matching what you have for the marks family as the above confused me a little.....

Offline scottphillips94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Unable to post a photo for some reason...

I have a “William Marks abt1836”” married to “Sophia Evans abt1841-1919”” ??

I have them down as having 6 children “Jonah / David / Ellen / Hannah / Thomas & Ann”

Then I have “Thomas Marks abt1800-1880” married to “Charlotte Davies abt1810-1893” as the parents of William among a lot of others including “James Marks abt1851-1911”

Just checking this matches your information

Offline rjmarcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes Scott, that all matches. Much of it is a matter of family knowledge, without having to work from census information. Thomas and Charlotte had 11 children all told.  Charlotte's parents were a David and Elizabeth of Penboyr, but the chances of finding the parents of Thomas look slim. Many thanks.