Author Topic: problems with scotlandspeople  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: problems with scotlandspeople
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 October 19 01:28 GMT (UK) »
If it's any consolation I often get this too - more often than not in the early hours of the morning (UK).   I had credits, would do a search and was swiftly thrown out and asked to log-in (again).   Then, when I did so, trying to do the search again would get all kinds of messages on screen.   I contacted SP and had a pleasant reply which, in short, said their technicians said it is a browser problem, cookies, etc. which is basically the same reply that one gets from Ancestry when something not working right. 

I'm on Windows 10, Microsoft Edge, I don't block cookies, and even when cookies/cache cleared it makes no difference.   Leave it a few hours, try again, and everything working fine again.

I've just tried a random search on SP and it worked fine tonight.    Sod's law comes to mind.

Annette 

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 October 19 08:08 GMT (UK) »
I also had this problem a while ago using windows 10 but no problems on other browsers and read somewhere that I can't find now that Scotlands People website doesn't like Windows 10

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 October 19 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Problem cleared this morning.
In answer to some suggestions I log out from scotlandspeople when search complete, when working on files internet browser is closed and I have prog. on machine that clears browser every time it is closed, machine backed up to separate hard drive every time machine closed down, many years ago I was caught out and lost a lot of information that took a fortnight to replace and a lot of man hours and expense to replace, granted this was in the early days of windows when machines had approx. 4Mb of storage, but my way of working has not changed, must be something on the server end.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 October 19 08:51 GMT (UK) »
That's good news BruceL glad your back in business.

Have a good day.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 October 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Got 'technical help' to support me - i.e. husband sat down at far end of sofa, and he went through his computer, and I went through mine, and we did various things and cleared a cache and everything now seems hunky-dory (so far).

I appreciate that relying on family technical help not doing it myself is exceedingly feeble, but as both sons and husband are in IT/Computing in various forms I just get on with what I enjoy doing and let them sort out what they are good at.

Fingers crossed it does not recur, and if it does I know what to do i.e. husband.