Author Topic: Donald McLeod’s family from Benbecula South Uist to McGillivray Ontario  (Read 8900 times)

Offline NorthrnGrl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McLeod’s family from Benbecula South Uist to McGillivray Ontario
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Annie

A family member did a family tree for my grandfather before he died many years ago. She said two of Donald’s sisters were Helen and Mary. His obit said there were 3 sisters. I’m starting to wonder if Alexander went by a different name in Scotland. He clearly is Alexander in Canada. Name changing or going by middle names etc... is something I’ve come across a lot in my research.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
A family member did a family tree She said two of Donald’s sisters were Helen and Mary. His obit said there were 3 sisters. I’m starting to wonder if Alexander went by a different name in Scotland. He clearly is Alexander in Canada.

We now have a Mary not mentioned in the opening post i.e. I will have a look at other families emigrating at the same time when I get home.

I forgot to say, the place name 'Dunganach' should read Dunganachy.

From what I can see, the names of emigrants have been taken from the 1841 census?

How sure are you the family emigrated from Benbecula in particular & how sure are you both parents were alive when the family emigrated?

Who were witnesses to Donald's marriages & are any of his parents recorded as deceased?

Sorry for the questions but the name Helen throws things a bit & the absence of an Alexander is odd as there are others such as a Neil/Niel & Kirsty/Chirsty showing on records found so far as well as Ann & Mary in different households

"I’m starting to wonder if Alexander went by a different name in Scotland"

Given the era & areas mentioned I'd have to say it's doubtful other than Alex/Alexr or Alasdair/Alastair & variants which is gaelic for Alexander although baptism/marriage/death/census records were pretty much all English forms of names.
I have yet to come across Eck/Sandy/Alick etc. on a Uist census or any other record in 1800s.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Just as a matter of interest the only marriage I can find in Scotland is below but of course we know that not all marriages were recorded or survived if they were.

JOHN MCLEOD married SARAH MCEWAN 12/05/1829 record on SP at Barony & Rothesay.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 14:29 GMT (UK) »
The witnesses for Donald's first marriage in 1873 were Alexander Rose and Wm McKenzie.

The witnesses for his second marriage in 1880 were William Porteous and Sarah S McDonald.

Parents are not noted as deceaesed but parents would not normally be noted as deceased on an Ontario marriage record.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 14:31 GMT (UK) »
We do have mother Sarah living with son Donald and family in 1891....when she showed as age 100  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I have looked through all MacLeod families in Vol 2 (Reply #16) who emigrated in the 1840s none of which are a close match to what's been previously posted in relation to your own info.

As far as I recall there are no records passenger lists as such for those?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 14:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a Mary and a Helen who are siblings but they are the children of Donald McLeod and his 2nd wife Mary Robertson.

Mary Isabella was born in 1885; Helen Jane was born in 1891.

Donald senior also had a son Donald with his first wife so these girls w/b his siblings (1/2 sibs, actually).

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 15:15 GMT (UK) »
parents would not normally be noted as deceased on an Ontario marriage record.

Thanks PB, I wasn't aware of this & should have checked my own Canadian marriages.

Monica, I wasn't meaning to doubt anything just making sure the records found so far were definitely correct as Uist names don't vary too much i.e. Donald, Mary, Neil & others seemed to be in every family, sometimes more than once  :)

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
NG, can you please post names for the children of Donald & Mary McKenzie in order please?

Annie