Author Topic: Purchasing FTM - is download-only sufficient?  (Read 4192 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Purchasing FTM - is download-only sufficient?
« on: Friday 01 November 19 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Family Tree Maker 2019 is available as download-only, DVD or USB. My laptop doesn’t have a DVD, so that’s out. The USB version costs £25 more than download-only, if you count the postage in the price. If I get just the download, what happens if I replace or have to wipe my laptop at some point? Would I be able to download it again without too much hassle or any extra payment?
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Purchasing FTM - is download-only sufficient?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 November 19 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I've alway only had the download. From what I remember you register it so presumably would be able to recover it as they would recognise you.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 November 19 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Back it up ( copy it to a usb stick? )

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 November 19 01:39 GMT (UK) »
I would recommend Disc or USB

I have installed my disc on many computers/laptops including those of relatives/friends over the yrs & have been able to do research wherever I've been as I would save/transport my trees on disc/usb for uploading.

I don't know how downloaded versions work regarding installing on several comps/laptops?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 November 19 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Family Tree Maker 2019 is available as download-only, DVD or USB. My laptop doesn’t have a DVD, so that’s out. The USB version costs £25 more than download-only, if you count the postage in the price. If I get just the download, what happens if I replace or have to wipe my laptop at some point? Would I be able to download it again without too much hassle or any extra payment?

I don't use Family Tree Maker 2019 but most such programs allow a save option. This allows you to save the download file before installing it on your computer. You can then save that file on external drives or usb sticks etc in case of computer failure.
It is then simple to re-install using the original password or key

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 November 19 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Keep a written note of all your registration information for the download, including serial number.

Then if you log in to the FTM website via a new PC you should be able to download the program again but you may have to deactivate the initial copy.

One of the reasons I choose Roots Magic as my software was that I can produce a fully working mobile version of the software that runs off a USB stick. 

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 November 19 07:54 GMT (UK) »
I had an old version of FTM. When my laptop stopped working I lost all the software.  I contacted FTM but after numerous attemps, I never did get it working again properly. I would definitely have it on a USB now after my experience.

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 November 19 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the replies. I’m going to play safe and get the USB - that £25 could save me a lot of stress in the future!
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 November 19 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Why not contact MacKiev and ask them the question before you spend an extra £25. If they can reassure you that you can download it again you'll save yourself £25 - that will buy a lot of certificates or wills!  ;D

This might help

https://support.mackiev.com/574163-Getting-a-Replacement-Download-for-FTM-2017
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk