Author Topic: Archibald Campbell and Mary Lycett, married 1776 in Stafford  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Campbell and Mary Lycett, married 1776 in Stafford
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 08:08 BST (UK) »

Checking with the National Archives, the LYCETT papers are held at Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archives Office.

There is dated 1750

Settlement, with counterpart on the marriage of Thomas SALT and Ann daughter of Francies LYCETT. etc.

Salt is by Weston Hall -

May be in the Lycett papers, Archibald CAMPBELL's name appears.

--

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 09:07 BST (UK) »

Checking with the National Archives, the LYCETT papers are held at Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archives Office.

There is dated 1750

Settlement, with counterpart on the marriage of Thomas SALT and Ann daughter of Francies LYCETT. etc.

Salt is by Weston Hall -

May be in the Lycett papers, Archibald CAMPBELL's name appears.

--

I would very much like to head there as soon as its possible to do so. I've been trying to find some information on Francis Lycett's parents, Joseph Lycett and Isabell Lycett, but none of the parish records seem to mention Joseph's profession and whether he was also the owner of Weston Hall.
North West, North Wales and Isle of Man:

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Apap / De Apapis, Camilleri, Grech, Muscat, Micallef, Custo, De Nasi

Angus, Scotland:

Ormond, Salmond, Cook, MacDonald

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
Googling: Francis Lycett Weston hall

"A spurned suitor has cause to regret his actions - The Bawdy

'For Anne there was a much happier outcome.  Her reputation was restored and a year after the court case she made a very advantageous marriage, to Francis LYCETT of Weston Hall, a member of local gentry. The couple were married in Lichfield Cahtedral on 1 December 1740 -  etc etc'

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 14:45 BST (UK) »
Googling: Francis Lycett Weston hall

"A spurned suitor has cause to regret his actions - The Bawdy

'For Anne there was a much happier outcome.  Her reputation was restored and a year after the court case she made a very advantageous marriage, to Francis LYCETT of Weston Hall, a member of local gentry. The couple were married in Lichfield Cahtedral on 1 December 1740 -  etc etc'

I saw this. And a fascinating story. Couldn't seem to find out much about Joseph or Isabell Lycett though. It seems likely they were also gentry and passed Weston Hall to Francis.

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland:

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
Lichfield Wills Index - Staffordshire Names Index

http://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk

There are quite a number of LYCETT Wills listed

4 Joseph

Joseph LYCETT, Yeoman, Salt, Stafford St Mary - 1740

Salt is almost near door to Weston.

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
Lichfield Wills Index - Staffordshire Names Index

http://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk

There are quite a number of LYCETT Wills listed

4 Joseph

Joseph LYCETT, Yeoman, Salt, Stafford St Mary - 1740

Salt is almost near door to Weston.

Doesn't seem to be viewable online  :-\

This seems to be the same one on Findmypast but looks to be a register of people that made Wills but not the will itself.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FSTAFF%2F007620612%2F00164&parentid=GBPRS%2FSTAFF%2FWILLS%2F178934

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland:

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
Joseph Lycett, 1740, didn't leave a will - the entry is for Administration.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 January 22 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I am late to this discussion.  Francis Lycett and Ann Thompson are my six greats grandmother and grandfather (and incidentally seven greats grandmother and grandfather to Joe Lycett the comedian).

I have a load of information about Archibald Campbell MD, my five greats grandfather, but sadly not his birthdate or his parent's names. He is the candidate listed at the University of Edinburgh graduation of 1765 and thus is very unlikely to have been born in 1755.  I have his birth for 1739 but I will have to drag out my own family tree notes to work out why I think he is born in 1739.  I have not yet been able to disambiguate him from all the other Archibald Campbells - there are about 300 contemporary with him, including several MDs.

He went to Staffordshire for the opening of the Staffordshire Infirmary and was one of the two founding doctors for the infirmary.  He was mayor of Stafford twice, and I found notices of both appointments.  I have marriages for some of his children, including the marriage to John St George of Frances Campbell born 1791, sister to my Ann Campbell. I can supply this information if required.

Francis Lycett did not own Weston Hall, he rented it, but he did own other  land and property. I believe I have Francis Lycett's will.  The problem is that I began my family tree more than thirty years ago when it was necessary to go and search the indexes physically at St Catherine's house in London.  So a lot of my early information is in the form of notes and files, which I will have to excavate.  I have been meaning to add all my offline information to my online trees, and this will make a good excuse to get started.

Incidentally, I went to the wedding of my husband's nephew a few years ago.  By mistake we went to Weston Park instead of Weston Hall, and I saw portraits of my ancestors on the Dickins side there, and was very unhappy when we realised my mistake and I had to drag myself away from them.  We got to Weston Hall just after the wedding and I barely paid attention to my surroundings because I was so full of regret for not having time to be able to take pictures of the portraits.

It was a few years later that I realised that Francis Lycett was my ancestor and was resident at Weston Hall. I barely took any pictures of it while I was there.  I too found the annotation on the will explaining that Mary Lycett, daughter of Francis and Ann Thompson, wife of Archibald Campbell MD was the right person.

Are we cousins?
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 31 January 22 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the double posting.  I've just found the death announcement entry which was in the Derby Mercury for Thursday 16 May 1805. It reads: Saturday se'nnight, aged 66, Archibald Campbell MD of Stafford. 

This makes his birth around 1739.  I do have a baptism record from 1739 from Scotland's people, but I have not added that to my tree yet because I have no way at the moment of being sure it is the right birth.

I have some information about the Lycetts too, I should have said.
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th