Author Topic: Lundie/Cuthill connection in Arbroath  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Phildy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lundie/Cuthill connection in Arbroath
« on: Monday 04 November 19 08:09 GMT (UK) »
I’m tracing my Scottish ancestry and have a contact in Arbroath whom I am certain must be connected somewhere but am struggling to find the link. The only thing I have found is that a family name, Cuthill, is present in both Lundie families from Arbroath in the 1800s, used as a middle name.
Can anyone give me hints on how I can pursue this?
As an aside, and for added evidence of a connection, the two Lundie families AND a Cuthill family all lived in Fergus Square, Arbroath!
Phill

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Lundie/Cuthill connection in Arbroath
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 November 19 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat :)

Could you give us the actual names and dates as a starting point?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 November 19 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Forfarian. We need something to work with.
Welcome to Rootschat - you never know who your gatekeeper cousin could be.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Phildy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 November 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian and Jack Gee
I wasn't expecting any bites so quickly after casting my lure into the Arbroath waters!

My great-great-grandfather was John Lundie, born 22 Dec 1832, Arbroath, Scotland, who at some time (I have not yet found the details) migrated to Adelaide, Australia (where I am), married and raised quite a family (I've thoroughly researched the Australian part of my family). His parents were William Lundie (1804-1870) and Margaret Walker (1804-1879), both born and buried in Arbroath.

While in Scotland, I recently met 'Aunty' Jean Morrison (nee Lundie) who, at the tender age of 93, lives in Arbroath. Her great-grandmother was Elisabeth (Elizabeth) Lundie (born  27 Feb 1866 in Arbroath). Her parents were John Lundie (yes, there are quite a few John Lundies!) (1843-1886) and Grace Brown (1832-1917) all from Arbroath. I've managed to piece together quite a bit of Jean's family and came across Elisabeth's brother Alexander Lundie (1876-1948) who married Catherine Cuthill (1884-1971) and had several children, some of which have Cuthill as a middle name. This caught my curiosity as my great-great-grandfather John Lundie had a sister Marjory Cuthill Lundie who migrated to America (married John Stewart).

Although the Lundie clan is very old and can be traced back to the 12th century, the name is not particularly common. I feel that the potential for a connection between my Lundies and those of 'Aunty' Jean is strong because of the Cuthill name and the addresses where both families lived, based on the censuses through the 19th century. I also know that 'Aunty' Jean's grand parents sailed to Adelaide, Australia in 1928 for a short stay in the country. My Lundie family has strong roots in Port Adelaide and it seems more than simply coincidental that Jean's grandparents would travel to Australia and chose Adelaide in particular to stay. As an aside, I have another LUndie family who did a similar thing and lived for three years in an adjoining neighbourhood to my Lundies! I've been unable to find the connection, but feel sure there must be one.

And so, there you have it, long winded. I'm trying to establish any connection between our families and am seeking advice on methods to achieve the same. I'm on Ancestry, Findmypast and several other sites.

Regards
Phill

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 November 19 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm on Ancestry, Findmypast and several other sites.
So basically you are looking for a connection between John Lundie, born 1832, and John Lundie, born 1843, both in Arbroath.

Have you got the death certificates of William Lundie and Margaret Walker Lundie, and of John Lundie who died in 1886?

I'm mulling over your information, but this might be useful background. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Phildy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 November 19 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I’m a member on Scotlandspeople too :-\

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 November 19 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I’m a member on Scotlandspeople too :-\
That's good to know.

Unfortunately there are people who believe the claim of a certain commercial web site that it has 'everything you need to research your UK ancestry'. It doesn't, and it was quite rightly scolded by the Advertising Standards Authority some years ago because advertising here has to be 'legal, decent, honest and truthful', and this web site's adverts were neither honest nor truthful. Even Scotland's People cannot make that claim in relation to Scottish ancestry.

Your first steps are those death certificates, if you don't already have them.

Offline Phildy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!
I agree with your comments. I warn people about the use of that particular service, suggesting that you cannot trust anything ‘hinted’ and that verification is necessary always. Having said this, there is value in seeking out fellow researchers and even locating relatives! I like the way you can build a tree (or several) including the ability to build disconnected content (for future linking).
I’ll pursue those death certificates. Our libraries here in Australia have good access to records as well, so I’ll research there also.
Regards
Phill

Offline Phildy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian wrote....

Have you got the death certificates of William Lundie and Margaret Walker Lundie, and of John Lundie who died in 1886?

I had those of William Lundie and Margaret Walker previously and have just purchased the death certificate of John Lundie (died 1886). These do not tell me anything more than I already know unfortunately.

Regards
Phill