Author Topic: Shoulder Badge  (Read 529 times)

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Shoulder Badge
« on: Wednesday 06 November 19 18:18 GMT (UK) »
This is my late father, Eric Davies. He served with the Royal Engineers during WW2. The picture shows him as a Lance Corporal - he went on to become a Corporal. My query is about the shoulder patch which is partially visible in the picture. Can anyone recognise what it might be?
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulder Badge
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 19:32 GMT (UK) »
They are a formation patch.  These look like part of the curved swords (seaxes) which were on the Essex County Divisional sign https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisional_insignia_of_the_British_Army#/media/File:Essex_County_Division_-vector.svg
and later on 223 Independent Infantry Brigade.

Both these formations would have had some elements of Royal Engineers in them so it doesn't help much if you are trying to find his unit?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Max. As far as I know he was involved at some time in mine clearance but not sure how long.
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline 58FAB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Had you also considered the II Corps formation symbol, where the three dark wavy stripes might be the sea and the little dark dot just above the middle stripe might be the fish's mouth?

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Had you also considered the II Corps formation symbol, where the three dark wavy stripes might be the sea and the little dark dot just above the middle stripe might be the fish's mouth?

Agree with 58FAB - the mouth of the fish can be seen when zooming in on the original posted photo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391488749776

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 November 19 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I agree.  The "seaxes" don't have the small semi circular cut out piece.  Sharper eyes than mine have it!

Have you considered applying for his service record which will tell you which unit(s) he serve with?

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia