Author Topic: Mayo & "McDONAGH"  (Read 552 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mayo & "McDONAGH"
« on: Thursday 07 November 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
A two part enquiry:

1. General - I am unfamiliar with the availability of marriage records in Co. Mayo (as it is very variable across Ireland), but seeking a record in the 1817-1821 period. What is the likelihood records existing?

2. I am specifically seeking anyone who has good knowledge on the McDONAGH (phonetic) family in Co. Mayo.

My Irish ancestry is a single DNA vector, and all matches now point exclusively to County Mayo, a known McDONAGH area, however there is no paper trail for the heads of the family who presumably married there around 1820, so we have no specific location. Up to 6 different Mayo family names have produced matches, including McDONAGH, BRADY, FAHY & LAVELLE.

The marriage would be between a Luke McD* and a woman named Mary of unknown surname. She gave birth en-route in England in 1822 to presumably her eldest child. Earliest English records infer surname McDONNER, which then became standardised as McDONALD or MACK by 1851.

The English descendants in my atDNA project that provided the Mayo connections are these GEDmatch kits: Z424787, A027914, XJ1097054, EE4882301, A845699 & FL8258356.

Thanks.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mayo & "McDONAGH"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 November 19 12:09 GMT (UK) »
A two part enquiry:

1. General - I am unfamiliar with the availability of marriage records in Co. Mayo (as it is very variable across Ireland), but seeking a record in the 1817-1821 period. What is the likelihood records existing?

The handiest place to see what exists across all religions is probably RootsIreland sources page
https://rootsireland.ie/mayo/generic.php?filename=centres/mayo/sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources
RootsIreland is a subscription and transcript only site so some of these records are free to view the originals else where.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mayo & "McDONAGH"
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 November 19 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at "Surname Interests"? It's under "Your Tools" in the brown section at foot of page.
Cowban