Author Topic: GRO website - Deaths from 1984 to 2019  (Read 10670 times)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GRO website - Deaths from 1984 to 2019
« on: Thursday 07 November 19 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if this isn't new, but I've just noticed a message on the GRO Online Index website saying:

We are currently adding to our online indexes which will help you identify and apply for copies of our records. We have now added online indexes for deaths registered between 1984 to 2019.

This is certainly new to me :) and the search does produce death results as recently as 2019.

There is still a gap between 1957 and 1984 though.  :(

The search page has different functionality as per the thread started by keyboard86
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=821178.0

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: GRO website - Deaths from 1984 to 2019
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 November 19 18:12 GMT (UK) »
That is interesting, Thank you.   

I did a trial on it for a 2015 death which did show but was surprised to see this comment on the page
If the index is incorrect and GRO are unable to locate an entry a refund will be provided minus a £3.50 administration fee.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 November 19 20:41 GMT (UK) »
The added index entries provide a bit less detail than the versions available on microfiche at certain libraries.

Only the year of birth rather than a full date is given, and only the quarter of registration rather than the month. Some only show the year.

I've also found one entry missing online which I had already transcribed from the fiche. The same fiche had others with the same surname.

It's still a very useful addition to our list of resources.

Do remember that the GRO has a gap between 1957 and 1984, so FreeBMD will still get a fair use.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 November 19 21:10 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome. Glad it seems to be a genuinely new facility, and not a case of me being caught napping.  :)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 November 19 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Do remember that the GRO has a gap between 1957 and 1984, so FreeBMD will still get a fair use.
Agreed. Not least because the GRO online search facility has so far retained rather strict criteria (+/- 2 years, no wildcards in names) which makes FreeBMD a near-essential tool if you don't already have a very good idea when the event took place, or if mis-transcriptions make it difficult/impossible to find the record in the GRO Online index.

Normally I tend to look for the record on FreeBMD first, then use the results to find the entry in the GRO Online index.

...and of course FreeBMD has a significant advantage when it comes to finding marriages.  ;)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 November 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any idea what the additional bits of data are in the reference? By that I mean the character code prefix and the character code suffix on the district name.

Example:
BROWN, BERTIE CHARLES 1898
GRO Reference: DOR Q4/1984 in NORTHAMPTON (6701C) Volume 7 Page 2482

When adding a record to your basket, the district suffix (eg 6701C) gets included in the district name but the prefix (eg DOR) doesn't seem to be used.

Looking on FreeBMD and FindMyPast, neither have these bits of data, so they seem to be internal codes to the GRO.

Also, has anyone seen any other prefixes other than 'DOR'?
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 November 19 08:36 GMT (UK) »

I did a trial on it for a 2015 death which did show but was surprised to see this comment on the page
If the index is incorrect and GRO are unable to locate an entry a refund will be provided minus a £3.50 administration fee.

I would suggest anyone who purchases a copy of an entry using the GRO index that the GRO are unable to locate and is charged a £3.50 fee should query the fee as being unlawful, as it is what is legally termed an unfair condition.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 November 19 08:37 GMT (UK) »
DOR = Date of Registration

The letter on the end of the district code identifies the register (districts have more than one register being used at the same time)  so 6701C  = Northampton (670) Register 1C

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 November 19 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Antony.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson